Re: Wireless Networking: PCI-E vs USB

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by victor, Apr 5, 2013.

  1. victor

    victor Guest

    On 5/04/2013 4:55 p.m., Crash McBash wrote:
    > I have a PC running Win 7 which is currently connected to my home
    > network via an ethernet cable. I am looking to move this PC away from
    > the router so some form of WIFI connection will be needed - and there
    > is no such capability built in to the motherboard.
    >
    > The PC has PCI, PCI-E and USB 2.0 capabilities. Looking at various
    > websites it looks like PCI and USB are the options - but what are the
    > relative merits? Speed and reliability are paramount. Price seems
    > not an issue as the most expensive hardware I saw was under $80.
    >
    > TIA,

    I wouldn't bother putting a card in it.
    There are some mini usb wifi adapters around now which would save you
    having something sticking out of the usb port.

    http://dx.com/p/ultra-mini-nano-usb...ack-71905?rt=1&p=6&m=1&r=4&k=1&t=1&s=&u=71905

    Otherwise you also have the option of a mini wireless router in bridge
    mode on the ethernet port,

    http://dx.com/p/mini-portable-150m-802-11n-wi-fi-wireless-router-green-115931

    or ethernet over power line
    http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...aming-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-Kit/21010311/

    I use all these methods for voip, media players, printers etc, the usb
    is probably easiest for a pc
    victor, Apr 5, 2013