Re: Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Malke, Jan 9, 2007.

  1. Malke

    Malke Guest

    mumof2 wrote:

    > Please help before I throw things.....
    >
    > I have a Netgear Wireless router & 2 pcs, 1 Laptop, they can all connect
    > to the Internet fine with their own ip address's (192.168.0.3 - 5)
    >
    > however, no matter how many times I have run wizards, troubleshooters
    > etc..etc.. I cannot get them to see each other or ping each other ?
    >
    > I have tried changing workgroup (all set to same), SSID for Network is
    > Michelle, although router is Netgear
    >
    > What am I doing/missing ? please help

    I don't know what you are "doing/missing" because I can't see your setup,
    but usually the problem you're having is caused by misconfigured or missed
    firewalls. Running the Network Setup Wizard automatically turns on the XP
    SP2 Windows Firewall.

    If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus
    with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts as a
    firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party firewall software,
    configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually
    do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
    MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
    pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Jan 9, 2007

  2. Malke

    Malke Guest

    mumof2 wrote:

    > Malke - you are a star
    >
    > I have changed my anti-virus firewalls to allow exceptions for a range &
    > can see each other fab however,,, one question does this now mean that if
    > my router is not secure and someone attached,, could they see my files ?

    You need to use the highest level of encryption on the wireless router that
    all your devices (laptops, etc.) support. If the laptop is fairly new, it
    will support WPA-PSK. In addition, the Local Area Network is private and
    not seen from the Internet. But yes, you must make the network secure. Here
    are some links to help you with that (easy).

    Wireless - Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

    Malke
    Malke, Jan 9, 2007

  3. Malke

    Lem Guest

    mumof2 wrote:
    > Malke - you are a star
    >
    > I have changed my anti-virus firewalls to allow exceptions for a range & can
    > see each other fab however,,, one question does this now mean that if my
    > router is not secure and someone attached,, could they see my files ?
    >
    > What would be the simplest way to secure it all ?
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> mumof2 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Please help before I throw things.....
    >>>
    >>> I have a Netgear Wireless router & 2 pcs, 1 Laptop, they can all connect
    >>> to the Internet fine with their own ip address's (192.168.0.3 - 5)
    >>>
    >>> however, no matter how many times I have run wizards, troubleshooters
    >>> etc..etc.. I cannot get them to see each other or ping each other ?
    >>>
    >>> I have tried changing workgroup (all set to same), SSID for Network is
    >>> Michelle, although router is Netgear
    >>>
    >>> What am I doing/missing ? please help

    >> I don't know what you are "doing/missing" because I can't see your setup,
    >> but usually the problem you're having is caused by misconfigured or missed
    >> firewalls. Running the Network Setup Wizard automatically turns on the XP
    >> SP2 Windows Firewall.
    >>
    >> If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus
    >> with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts as a
    >> firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party firewall software,
    >> configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually
    >> do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
    >> 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your correct
    >> subnet.
    >>
    >> If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
    >> MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
    >> pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Yes, that's exactly what it means. You need to secure your wireless
    network by enabling the highest level of encryption that is common to
    all of your hardware (router and wifi adapters in each pc/laptop). For
    home use, in order of increasing security: WEP; WPA-PSK (TKIP); WPA-PSK
    (AES); WPA2. There are other steps you can take, such as restricting the
    number of IP addresses available or filtering based on MAC addresses,
    but high-level encryption with a secure passphrase/key is the best
    start. See http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Jan 9, 2007