Re: Wireless network file sharing

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tom Benoit, Sep 4, 2007.

  1. Tom Benoit

    Tom Benoit Guest

    Does "My Network Places" show all the computers connected to your wireless
    network?

    Tom Benoit, Sep 4, 2007

  2. Tom Benoit

    Tom Benoit Guest

    Click "Start"
    Right-Click "My Network Places"
    Click "Search for Computers..."
    Type in the name of the computer you want to connect to

    You should see that computer

    Tom Benoit, Sep 4, 2007

  3. Make sure that both machines are in the same workgroup (workgroup, NOT
    domain). Make sure that all machines are using workgroup networking not
    domain networking. If you are using Vista, you will have to turn on
    "Network Discovery" on each machine.

    If you are using Vista:

    First, go here and read this article:

    Second, you may still find that sharing still doesn't work unless you
    turn off all security (passwords). In many cases, this is caused by a
    "feature" that exists in both XP and Vista involving zero-length passwords.

    XP Pro (but usually not XP Home), Media Center and Vista will not allow
    network access to network computers that have zero-length passwords.
    You may see the computer, but will get a "you do not have permission
    ....." message if you actually try to access it.

    To fix this:

    Start / run / gpedit.msc (start the group policy editor)

    Open the tree:
    Computer configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local
    Policies / Security Options

    Find the item:
    Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only

    If this item is enabled, you will not be able to logon to other
    computers on the network that have blank (zero-length) passwords. IT IS
    ENABLED BY DEFAULT.

    Change it to disabled.

    This will fix a lot of access problems in "home" networks that don't
    have user passwords on many of the machines.

    ONE OTHER IMPORTANT POINT: I have found that Vista gets DRAMATICALLY,
    friendlier, a LOT friendlier, if you right click on the Vista "start"
    button and select "Classic Start Menu". There are some settings there
    and in other places that make it friendlier still, but "Classic Start
    Menu" is the key. [I'm using the RC version of Vista, I hope and
    presume that this option was still present in the production version].
    In fact, this option changes a lot more than the start menu, including
    the desktop. It makes a whole lot of things look, act and behave more
    likel XP (or even 98). But it still leaves Aero and all of the "Wow"
    intact.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 26, 2009