Re: Wireless Network Does Not work after SP2 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by wifi, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. wifi

    wifi Guest

    well I got to say, what a load of rubbish.
    XP doesnt need a built in firewall, as there are plenty of good fre
    ones out there. Exactly how has MS made XP less vulnerable to worm
    etc? Just dont use IE or Outlook and you have already cut your risk t
    a mimimum. Mozillas firefox and thunderbird are faster more secur
    easier to use and free!
    Upgraded to SP2 and then the nightmare begins. My Toshiba satilit
    laptop (6 months old, built in G standard wifi) has not missed a bea
    until now.
    Shows connected to access point, and network bridge connected. Alas n
    packets recieved.
    Turned off new sp2 firewall, and third party firewall, refreshe
    network, no wep keys, and still nothing.
    After two hour tinkering with settings, pinging, second networ
    adapters etc etc, gave up in incandecent rage and the only thing to d
    was system restore to earlier point. And of course it immedialty al
    works perfectly again.
    How can they be allowed to relaese this stuff which just doesn
    work??????
    fraud anyon

    -
    wif

    wifi, Sep 6, 2004

  2. wifi

    Insomniac Guest

    I've just upgraded to SP2 (on both machines in my house).

    I've a netgear wireless router with built-in ASDL modem.
    Connected to this is my machine via CAT5, and my brothers machine via
    USB WG121 wireless adaptor.

    Setup prior to SP2 was a dream. Everything was working withi
    minutes.

    Now my brothers card is randomly dropping connections and both ou
    computers seem to be randomly losing our internet connection! Whe
    this happens I can still ping both machines and the router but nothin
    on the internet.

    I've got the netgear configuration software running on my brother's P
    and am not using the windows configuration.

    I've heard that there's a bug with the windows wireless configuratio
    service that randomly drops connections

    -
    Insomnia

    Insomniac, Sep 6, 2004

  3. wifi

    wifi Guest

    Insomniac wrote:
    > *I've just upgraded to SP2 (on both machines in my house).
    >
    > I've a netgear wireless router with built-in ASDL modem.
    > Connected to this is my machine via CAT5, and my brothers machine vi
    > a USB WG121 wireless adaptor.
    >
    > Setup prior to SP2 was a dream. Everything was working withi
    > minutes.
    >
    > Now my brothers card is randomly dropping connections and both ou
    > computers seem to be randomly losing our internet connection! Whe
    > this happens I can still ping both machines and the router bu
    > nothing on the internet.
    >

    > I've got the netgear configuration software running on my brother'
    > PC and am not using the windows configuration.
    >
    > I've heard that there's a bug with the windows wireless configuratio
    > service that randomly drops connections?
    >

    > Hey there
    >
    > I think it must be to do with the network bridge. You mentioned tha
    > both of your computers were ramdomly dropping connections. You sai
    > that one was cat 5 so that rules out the wireless.
    > I had to do system restore to get my internet connection back whic
    > worked fine, but I noticed that tere was another tab in the networ
    > bridge confid dialog that had was a windows firewall, even though
    > had gone back to sp1. It was turned on by defualt and was causing th
    > network adapters to no work. So went and restored to an earlier poin
    > and this tab and a few other options have now dissappered. Th
    > connection to the inernet is now fine, but I am not able to access t
    > other computers on the workgroup any more!!!! As I print and save t
    > mapped network drives this is infuriating. All appeares to b
    > correct, workgroup name, sharing, firewalls, file and print shareing
    > client of network, etc. But it will not let me accesss th
    > workgroup.
    > Anyway I would say def go back to sp1 unitl MS inevitably release th
    > patches (after they have used us all as ginea pigs) Must find M
    > address to send my invoice to for having to spend the day fixing m
    > network

    -
    wif

    wifi, Sep 6, 2004
  4. wifi

    Insomniac Guest

    Well.

    I disabled the SP2 firewall on both machines, reinstalled the wirles
    drivers on my brothers and NIC drivers on mine. I reset the router an
    made sure all the settings were as they should be.

    I then disabled the Wireless Zero Configuration service on bot
    machines. I figured it shouldn't affect my machine, and hopefull
    wouldn't affect by brothers.

    After a couple of restarts all seems fine. Internet connection i
    working on both our machines now, all I can do is monitor both machine
    to make sure SP2 isn't just trying to lure me into a false sense o
    security...:aa

    -
    Insomnia

    Insomniac, Sep 7, 2004
  6. wifi

    wifi Guest

    dont know if you are running a workgroup on your stuff but make sur
    that check the permissions as sp2 seemed to have reset all my shares t
    nothing shared, not even the defualt printer folder.
    finally got the workgroup back up, but it seems to be strangl
    intermitant.
    New flatmate just upgraded his dell laptop, and yes although it worked
    in as much as he could still access the internet, it was and I di
    witness this with my own eyes, dropping the connection after a shor
    period. My laptop right beside it at the same time had full signal an
    did not alter as his went on and off.
    Pretty convinced that this can not be hardware related.
    As you say much monitoring require

    -
    wif

    wifi, Sep 7, 2004
  7. wifi

    wifi Guest

    just an aside. the workgroup thing seems to be related to the thir
    party firewall (kerio) that I have been running for the past 6 month
    with no problem. Looks like I will have to uninstall and then reinstal
    and reset all the ip firewall permissions etc.
    Why this should be so is a bit aof a mystery as all firewall settin
    were not changed in any of the sp2 marlarky. Can only guess that th
    sp2 firewall has left a remant of code after the system restore or tha
    sys restore isnt all its cracked up to be

    -
    wif

    wifi, Sep 7, 2004