Re: Wireless network connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lem, Apr 18, 2009.

  1. Lem

    Lem Guest

    DWMHW wrote:
    > I am trying to set up my laptop to the BT wreless Modum and despite me
    > feeding in the 13 digit keyword Windows cannot configure the wireless
    > connection.

    Please report the error message exactly. If you are getting "Windows
    cannot configure this wireless connection," that means that you need to
    turn off the wireless configuration utility supplied by the manufacturer
    of your laptop or your wireless adapter.

    If that's not the error message you get, and you're just having
    difficulty getting the password right, this may be because you are not
    entering the correct thing.

    It appears that you are attempting to use WEP encryption (you should use
    WPA or WPA2 instead; WEP is not secure). The actual WEP "key" is a
    string of hexadecimal characters generated according to some algorithm
    when you enter your 13-digit password. The problem is that Windows
    probably will not generate the same HEX value as your BT wireless
    device. Get the actual HEX key and enter that in your laptop.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Apr 18, 2009