Re: Wireless Linksys G router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by francis.gerard, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. "CRazykevin" <> wrote in message
    >I have 2 questions
    >
    > 1. If I have a Linksys wireless G-router will it work with any brand of
    > wireless G-band nics?

    technically speaking, yes, all wireless devices with the 802.11g designation
    are interoperable

    > 2. How well would a WIreless B NIC work with the Wireless G router?

    in my experience with a Linksys WRT54G Router, not good. i upgraded from
    the Linksys BEFW11S4 (802.11b) to the WRT54G (802.11g and 802.11b) with the
    intention of using both standards on my network, but i quickly discovered
    that 802.11b devices do not interoperate well with 802.11g devices and their
    connections to the Wireless-G router were consistently dropped and/or the
    speed and signal quality fluctuated considerably. i do not recommend the
    WRT54G router, it is garbage compared to some of Linksys' other products.
    having said that, Linksys has discontinued version 1 of the WRT54G router
    and has replaced it with what looks to be a completely different unit and
    called it Version 2, so who knows, maybe they've fixed the horrible mess
    that was WRT54G v1.

    --
    francis

    francis.gerard, Jul 27, 2004