Re: Wireless connection

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Aug 11, 2010.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Edwin Sineath" <> wrote in message
    > Just got a used laptop, an IBM T41. I cannot get it to connect to my
    > secured network or my girlfriend's secured network. I enter the key when
    > requested and it tries and then quits. It will connect to any and all
    > unsecured networks whenever I find them. This is baffling to me. Any
    > ideas? I've never encountered this before. This is a Windows XP machine.
    > My linux laptop doesn't have this problem.

    Some more detail .... is it YOUR router / access point ?
    Speed/type ? autodetect 802.11a, b, g ?

    Her PC works ok on your secure network ?
    If yes then you know the specs ( WPS-PSK , encryption type etc) . her laptop
    works OK ?
    get into her settings and set yours like that.
    You've done that ?

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...q=5&aqi=g7&aql=&oq=IBM T41 wireless&gs_rfai=

    got me to :
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/migr-50402.html

    Access Connections takes the hassle out of getting connected.
    Click here to download "Access Connections"

    "WEP key. This involves using a 5 digit alphanumeric key for 64bit
    encryption or 13 digit alphanumeric key for 128bit encryption. " That's
    OLD info. WPA , WPA-PSK been around long enough to be the standard.
    AND in those settings, check to see packet type - TKIP ? AES ?

    #10. Run PC Doctor diagnostics on the network card included with the
    ThinkPad system by pressing the F11 key or the Access IBM button during
    startup to access the predesktop menu area. If this method is not available
    for your system, then PC Doctor for DOS may be downloaded. This DOS version
    requires two or more floppy diskettes depending on the ThinkPad system.
    - Bobb -, Aug 11, 2010