Re: wireless connected but no packets recieved?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lem, Dec 13, 2006.

  1. Lem

    Lem Guest

    DJG wrote:
    > i have managed to connect my laptop to the wireless network in the house.
    > However it says it is connected and seems to be sending packets but
    > recieving. Therefor internet connection is still not possible. Can anyone
    > help?

    The "connected" status message doesn't really mean what you think it
    means. The network is probably secured with an encryption key and/or
    MAC filtering. Assuming that it is your network, turn off all
    encryption and MAC filtering in the router and try to connect. Once you
    have managed that, you can re-enable your security measures.

    If for some reason the network is using WEP encryption, you should
    upgrade the drivers/firmware/hardware as necessary to use WPA or WPA2,
    but in the meantime be sure to enter the WEP key (from the router) into
    your laptop as hex information, not as an ASCII password.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Dec 13, 2006