Re: wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by bluebird101, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. bluebird101

    bluebird101 Guest

    bluebird101 wrote:
    > *I received some good info on this site a few days ago so will try
    > again. I have a Qwest wireless DSL modem installed by Qwest. This
    > system works well. I would like to connect my laptop to this modem
    > if it can be done. I have a Hawkings USB adapter on the laptop but
    > can't seem to get it connect to the Qwest modem. I have reconfigured
    > the IP addresses and entered the IP No's and subnet mask still
    > nothing seem to want to cooperate. Any help would be appreciated.
    > Will try to anser anymore questions if I can. Thanks Don. *

    PS: Forgot to mention that I am using XP with the Qwest modem and am
    trying to connect with the laptop (98)

    --
    bluebird101

    bluebird101, Jan 2, 2006

  2. bluebird101

    Milky-G Guest

    The differences in the OS's shouldn't matter. Here's what I'd do. Instead of
    assigning static addresses to your add-ons, I'd set it up for dynamic
    addressing. The only thing you have to do is set the wireless channel for
    your bridge to that of the DSL modem, set the modem to allow any station
    access, but, for security, enable WEP (at least 64 bit). That way whenever
    you add on to your wireless network, you just set the channel and WEP
    password and your network will recognize it. I also disable ESSID
    broadcasting so no one else sees my network. If your Hawkings has an
    ethernet port, use that instead of USB.

    Other die-hards will tell you not to do this, but you can have an open
    network, as long as you use encryption, and be perfectly safe. I had a
    similar problem when I had my gateway setup for listed station access only.
    It just doesn't work well for a handfull of reasons. Hope this helps!

    Milky-G

    Milky-G, Jan 2, 2006

  3. bluebird101

    Kevin Agard Guest

    Well, I guess I'm a "die-hard" but that just plan silly. Rely solely on
    64 bit WEP? You are kidding right? I can sit here at home and crack the
    128 WEP on all 5 of the other access points I can reach over night.

    Turning off SSID broadcast does nothing by itself either.

    You are basically advising this person to close his front door but don't
    lock it when he leaves home in the morning. That's hardly "perfectly safe."

    I do not know what "handfull of reasons" you refer to but I have set up
    dozens of wireless networks over the last few years, using a variety of
    equipment, and every single one of them works as they should and ALL of
    them have DHCP off (use Static IPs), use restricted access, use WEP 128
    or WPA (where available) and have SSID off. With all 4 of those in
    place, you will pretty much stop all but the most determined individuals
    but even with all those methods in place, you are still only relatively
    safe but hardly "perfectly."

    So, whatever you perceive that handful of reasons as, I suspect it is
    more of a configuration problem than an inherent issue with methods
    described above.

    Kevin Agard, Jan 4, 2006