Re: winxp to join win98 network - problems

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Fred the Ferret, May 14, 2006.

  1. On 13 May 2006 15:54:10 -0700
    "Sean Cleary" <> wrote:

    > I will make the changes: First 255.255.0.0 later maybe NetBeui. Thank you for
    > the detailed instructions on how to do this. Actually all 3 computers have
    > USB ports, and I have fastlynx on the two 98 machines. Should I change the
    > '98 machines to 255.255.0.0 from 255.255.255.0? or should I just assign
    > addresses that are sequential in the last hex-like digit?
    >

    Your XP machine has address 192.168.0.x subnet 25.25.255.0, so it will only
    recognise machines with addresses between 192.168.0.1 thru 192.168.0.255. Your
    win98 machines have addresses 192.168.1.x, so will not be recognised. You can
    change the subnet settings to 255.255.0.0, so the 0\1 numeration isn't a
    problem, or maybe easier to just change the laptop to 192.168.1.x

    Don't worry about NetBEUI or not NetBEUI until you've sorted out the above and
    you can get pings working in both directions. You are pinging using the IP
    addresses I presume? Unless you get responses to pings you can't be sure the
    problem isn't a faulty network card on the laptop. But as I said before,
    firewalls can stop ping traffic, so you have to ensure that isn't the problem
    too.
     
    Fred the Ferret, May 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Fred the Ferret

    Sean Cleary Guest

    98 machines have addresses of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 and mutually
    recognize each other. Laptop is changed to 192.168.1.4. I now, thanks
    to the good advice I got here, have mutual pings. The firewall is
    disabled. The laptop name has been shortened to "Sean Laptop". I am
    still working on some of the other suggestions given.

    Sean
     
    Sean Cleary, May 14, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Fred the Ferret

    Sean Cleary Guest

    Did it! and thank you for your help!

    Keys:
    255.255.0.0 on every machine did help
    Called my brother and we:
    eliminated dial up adapter (driver and tcp/ip) stuff from computer that
    was not connected to internet.
    found all *host.sam files and added the gateway numbers and names for
    each machine
    Changed all machine names to a single word.

    got a couple of batch files going:
    rem this computer is fiona
    type id.txt > p.txt
    ping 192.168.1.4 /n 2 >> p.txt
    ping 192.168.1.2 /n 2 >> p.txt
    ping 192.168.1.1 /n 2 >> p.txt
    type p.txt | more

    where id.txt is
    this computer is fiona.

    went through the checkoff lists of the network help system (not all
    that useful).

    Sean
     
    Sean Cleary, May 15, 2006
    #3
  4. Fred the Ferret

    Scotech Guest

    Sean Cleary wrote:
    > Did it! and thank you for your help!
    >
    > Keys:
    > 255.255.0.0 on every machine did help
    > Called my brother and we:
    > eliminated dial up adapter (driver and tcp/ip) stuff from computer that
    > was not connected to internet.
    > found all *host.sam files and added the gateway numbers and names for
    > each machine
    > Changed all machine names to a single word.
    >
    > got a couple of batch files going:
    > rem this computer is fiona
    > type id.txt > p.txt
    > ping 192.168.1.4 /n 2 >> p.txt
    > ping 192.168.1.2 /n 2 >> p.txt
    > ping 192.168.1.1 /n 2 >> p.txt
    > type p.txt | more
    >
    > where id.txt is
    > this computer is fiona.
    >
    > went through the checkoff lists of the network help system (not all
    > that useful).
    >
    > Sean
    >

    Well Done

    Im having a newtworking problem & like you have only done half the A+ ,
    Networking aint my strongest suit.

    I'll try and explain as best as i can and hope that some of the guys on
    here , can help.I have tried everything I can thing off. I got a little
    further but still theres one little part of the jigsaw missing.

    Is it safe to use just the routers firewall ?

    I have 3 pc's networked together pc 1(main/host pc is connected to a
    Linksys Befsx41 cable/dsl firewall / router) and mortorola SB5100
    surfboard cable modem, .theres also a shared printer connected to pc 1.

    pc's 1 & 2 run win xp home (both upraded to latest sp + updates)
    pc 3 has win xp proffesional.
    the workgroup name is the same for all 3
    and i use single word computer names.


    the latest scenario is that all 3 can go on the net , all 3 can use the
    shared printer , all pc's see each other, pc's 2,3 can swap files beteen
    each other no problem.all 3 ping each other ok
    and tracert works.

    but when either pc 2 or 3 try and access pc 1 , the following error
    appears \\pc1\shareddocs is not accessible,you might not have permission
    to use this network resource.contact the adminstrator of the server to
    find out if you have access permissions.
    Not enough server storage space is available to process this command.


    However pc 1 sees pc'2 & 3's shares and can even put files in to them
    and these show on 2 & 3.

    I think theres a sofware setting wrong some where but I just cant find it.

    apart from the router firewall , I turned all other firewalls off
    thinking it was that.
    sometimes I cant even access pc 1' s network share the same message
    ap[pears.

    Has anyone got any ideas.


    I have tried , ping , ipconfig , tracert file & print sharing is enabled
    on all pc's , even tried sharing seperate folders on pc 1's drive
    to no avail.

    would appreciate any help

    Rascal
     
    Scotech, May 15, 2006
    #4
  5. On Mon, 15 May 2006 20:19:35 GMT
    Scotech <> wrote:
    <snip>
    >
    > Im having a newtworking problem & like you have only done half the A
    > + , Networking aint my strongest suit.
    >
    > I'll try and explain as best as i can and hope that some of the guys
    > on here , can help.I have tried everything I can thing off. I got a
    > little further but still theres one little part of the jigsaw missing.
    >
    > Is it safe to use just the routers firewall ?
    >
    > I have 3 pc's networked together pc 1(main/host pc is connected to a
    > Linksys Befsx41 cable/dsl firewall / router) and mortorola SB5100
    > surfboard cable modem, .theres also a shared printer connected to pc
    > 1.
    >
    > pc's 1 & 2 run win xp home (both upraded to latest sp + updates)
    > pc 3 has win xp proffesional.
    > the workgroup name is the same for all 3
    > and i use single word computer names.
    >
    >
    > the latest scenario is that all 3 can go on the net , all 3 can use
    > the shared printer , all pc's see each other, pc's 2,3 can swap files
    > beteen each other no problem.all 3 ping each other ok
    > and tracert works.
    >
    > but when either pc 2 or 3 try and access pc 1 , the following error
    > appears \\pc1\shareddocs is not accessible,you might not have
    > permission to use this network resource.contact the adminstrator of
    > the server to find out if you have access permissions.
    > Not enough server storage space is available to process this command.
    >
    >
    > However pc 1 sees pc'2 & 3's shares and can even put files in to them
    > and these show on 2 & 3.
    >
    > I think theres a sofware setting wrong some where but I just cant
    > find it.
    >
    > apart from the router firewall , I turned all other firewalls off
    > thinking it was that.
    > sometimes I cant even access pc 1' s network share the same message
    > ap[pears.
    >
    > Has anyone got any ideas.
    >
    >
    > I have tried , ping , ipconfig , tracert file & print sharing is
    > enabled on all pc's , even tried sharing seperate folders on pc 1's
    > drive to no avail.
    >
    > would appreciate any help
    >
    > Rascal
    >


    Try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308007>

    Particularly the 'Troubleshooting file and printer sharing' section.

    HTH
     
    Fred the Ferret, May 16, 2006
    #5
  6. Fred the Ferret

    Scotech Guest

    Fred the Ferret wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 May 2006 20:19:35 GMT
    > Scotech <> wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Im having a newtworking problem & like you have only done half the A
    >>+ , Networking aint my strongest suit.
    >>
    >>I'll try and explain as best as i can and hope that some of the guys
    >>on here , can help.I have tried everything I can thing off. I got a
    >>little further but still theres one little part of the jigsaw missing.
    >>
    >>Is it safe to use just the routers firewall ?
    >>
    >>I have 3 pc's networked together pc 1(main/host pc is connected to a
    >>Linksys Befsx41 cable/dsl firewall / router) and mortorola SB5100
    >>surfboard cable modem, .theres also a shared printer connected to pc
    >>1.
    >>
    >>pc's 1 & 2 run win xp home (both upraded to latest sp + updates)
    >>pc 3 has win xp proffesional.
    >>the workgroup name is the same for all 3
    >>and i use single word computer names.
    >>
    >>
    >>the latest scenario is that all 3 can go on the net , all 3 can use
    >>the shared printer , all pc's see each other, pc's 2,3 can swap files
    >>beteen each other no problem.all 3 ping each other ok
    >>and tracert works.
    >>
    >>but when either pc 2 or 3 try and access pc 1 , the following error
    >>appears \\pc1\shareddocs is not accessible,you might not have
    >>permission to use this network resource.contact the adminstrator of
    >>the server to find out if you have access permissions.
    >>Not enough server storage space is available to process this command.
    >>
    >>
    >>However pc 1 sees pc'2 & 3's shares and can even put files in to them
    >>and these show on 2 & 3.
    >>
    >>I think theres a sofware setting wrong some where but I just cant
    >>find it.
    >>
    >>apart from the router firewall , I turned all other firewalls off
    >>thinking it was that.
    >>sometimes I cant even access pc 1' s network share the same message
    >>ap[pears.
    >>
    >>Has anyone got any ideas.
    >>
    >>
    >>I have tried , ping , ipconfig , tracert file & print sharing is
    >>enabled on all pc's , even tried sharing seperate folders on pc 1's
    >>drive to no avail.
    >>
    >>would appreciate any help
    >>
    >>Rascal
    >>

    >
    >
    > Try this:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308007>
    >
    > Particularly the 'Troubleshooting file and printer sharing' section.
    >
    > HTH
    >



    Many thanks for the link Fred

    I have been trawling through support , but as yet , still not
    cracked it.

    I did find out (as I suspected)

    that its pc 1 that has the problem via net user guest
    active:yes and checking the nw setup log

    it said "old computer name is same as new name - not setting". So
    I tried a new setup with a brand new name , but I get the same error.

    I can search and connect to the other pc s

    shares via run / explorer

    but I cant access pc 1 locallly or via pc's 1
    or 2.

    all the addys seem ok, I can ping every pc to
    every other pc and the print share is

    fine . Its so frustrating & hard to find
    that last piece of this puzzler

    file & print sharing are on and

    the share folder with network is on too

    thanks again , I'll keep lookn

    Rascal
     
    Scotech, May 16, 2006
    #6
  7. Fred the Ferret

    Sean Cleary Guest

    I really posted this problem in 4 groups, not wanting to cross post.
    Some have some variations, but all contain the words "winxp to join
    win98 network" in the title. Some of these alternates got good advice,
    so go find them.

    Sean
     
    Sean Cleary, May 17, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. john samson

    Tutorial for Fixing WIN98/WINXP OS problems

    john samson, Sep 11, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    512
    Toolman Tim
    Sep 11, 2005
  2. gimp

    winXP slow to join network

    gimp, Dec 21, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    389
    Robert
    Dec 24, 2004
  3. Scott

    Can a join an adhoc network to a bridged network ?

    Scott, Jun 6, 2008, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    511
    Barb Bowman
    Jun 6, 2008
  4. Sean Cleary

    winxp to join win98 network - problems

    Sean Cleary, May 13, 2006, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    481
    Patty
    May 14, 2006
  5. Fred the Ferret

    Re: winxp to join win98 network - problems

    Fred the Ferret, May 13, 2006, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    376
    Sean Cleary
    May 13, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page