Re: winxp to join win98 network - problems

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Fred the Ferret, May 13, 2006.

  1. On 12 May 2006 21:18:56 -0700
    "Sean Cleary" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have often found good advice from this group. I am hoping for some
    > now.
    >
    > I have a new laptop. It has WinXP on it.
    > I have a 2 computer and a switch win98 network. I can not see the
    > WinXp machine; it can not see me when it I try.
    > I have the workgroups all named the same.
    > I may have changed some setting or other that will prevent me from
    > networking.
    > I have all the gateway settings and port settings at variations on
    > 192.1681.x where x is 1&2 for the older machines and 3 for the LAN
    > 1394 connection. I have a Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated LAN
    > connection that has an address of 192.168.0.1.
    >
    > I really do not know which of these two connections is attached to the
    > J45 jack, and thereby to the cable to the switch.
    >
    > The Broadcom connection said that it is repaired. The 1394 connection
    > said that TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection.

    1394 is a firewire socket, nothing to do with networking.

    > I have modified the 98 machines to have gateways that could use the
    > addresses of either LAN.
    >
    > I do not have a network cert., and only completed half of A+ long ago.
    > XP is mostly new to me
    >
    > I have tried pinging, I have made a *.bat file that will do that from
    > dos on the 98 machines. No response.

    Have you tried pinging the win98 machines from the laptop? What happens?

    What is the subnet setting on the Broadcom connection? Is it 255.255.0.0?

    Has the laptop XP got firewall enabled? Do the firewall settings allow the lan
    connections?

    Fred the Ferret, May 13, 2006

  2. Fred the Ferret

    Sean Cleary Guest

    ping from XP machine likewise times out no response.

    mask is 255.255.255.0
    firewalled, will try to find if firewall is OK.

    Can not do disk thing: laptop does not have floppie, nor does it
    believe that CD writer is a way of writing such a disk.
    Thank you for replying.
    Sean

    Sean Cleary, May 13, 2006