Re: WinXP shutting down

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rider, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Nigel Howe" <nigelh@call+plus.co.nz> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:42:49 +1200, Nigel Howe <nhowe@call+plus.co.nz>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Howdy all...
    > >
    > >A friend of mine is bugging me about some anomaly within WinXP.
    > >
    > >Apparently from time to time when he is online, XP comes up with a
    > >message advising him that his PC is going to shut down, and prompts
    > >him to save all his work, then commences a count down, before shutting
    > >the PC down.
    > >
    > >I'm not an XP person, loathe it to all hell, so have no idea what this
    > >might be... has anyone got any idea what is going on?
    > >
    > >He seems unable to actually rub a pair of brain cells together (well
    > >hell, he's using XP after all) and hasn't bothered to write down the
    > >message, but has remembered it mentions RTC or something similar... a
    > >google search has suggested it may be a fatal error in something, but
    > >it just doesn't sound like it... the PC is some generic name brand and
    > >is about 2 weeks off the shelf.
    > >
    > >TIA

    > Well, I've now heard from about a dozen other people with the same
    > problem, and between them they meet the minimum brain cell
    > requirements, so I'm picking that it is indeed the work of the little
    > nasty Howard mentioned.
    >
    > I like most MS products, but why oh why don't they consider security
    > before releasing them into the wild?
    >
    > Oh well, keeps people employed I guess...

    We've just had 3 calls in the last 15 minutes . Looks like its gonna be a
    busy day LOL

    Rider

    Rider, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Rider

    Nigel Howe Guest

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:12:03 +1200, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >"Nigel Howe" <nigelh@call+plus.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:42:49 +1200, Nigel Howe <nhowe@call+plus.co.nz>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Howdy all...
    >> >
    >> >A friend of mine is bugging me about some anomaly within WinXP.
    >> >
    >> >Apparently from time to time when he is online, XP comes up with a
    >> >message advising him that his PC is going to shut down, and prompts
    >> >him to save all his work, then commences a count down, before shutting
    >> >the PC down.

    <snip>

    >> Well, I've now heard from about a dozen other people with the same
    >> problem, and between them they meet the minimum brain cell
    >> requirements, so I'm picking that it is indeed the work of the little
    >> nasty Howard mentioned.
    >>
    >> I like most MS products, but why oh why don't they consider security
    >> before releasing them into the wild?
    >>
    >> Oh well, keeps people employed I guess...

    >We've just had 3 calls in the last 15 minutes . Looks like its gonna be a
    >busy day LOL
    >
    >Rider

    Hehe, yes, it's going to be one of "those" days...

    We're up to about 55 so far.

    The number of people who are blaming the ISP, because it's come
    through their connection... so funny :)

    Nigel Howe, Aug 12, 2003

  3. Rider

    Nigel Howe Guest

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:56:01 +1200, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    ><SNIP>
    >> >We've just had 3 calls in the last 15 minutes . Looks like its gonna be a
    >> >busy day LOL
    >> >
    >> >Rider
    >> >

    >> Hehe, yes, it's going to be one of "those" days...
    >>
    >> We're up to about 55 so far.
    >>
    >> The number of people who are blaming the ISP, because it's come
    >> through their connection... so funny :)

    >And "Why didnt my Norton pick it up?????" LOL Should send a thank you email
    >to Bill Gates for keeping me in a job I suppose LOL
    >
    >Rider

    Yes... yes I've just started getting the "My Nortons/AVG didn't pick
    it up!" whines...

    But I don't think we should mention it to Billy, he may want some form
    of commission for keeping us in Jellybean money!

    Nigel Howe, Aug 12, 2003
  4. Rider

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:56:01 +1200, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > ><SNIP>

    be a

    > >> Hehe, yes, it's going to be one of "those" days...
    > >>
    > >> We're up to about 55 so far.
    > >>
    > >> The number of people who are blaming the ISP, because it's come
    > >> through their connection... so funny :)

    > >And "Why didnt my Norton pick it up?????" LOL Should send a thank you

    email
    > >to Bill Gates for keeping me in a job I suppose LOL
    > >
    > >Rider
    > >

    > Yes... yes I've just started getting the "My Nortons/AVG didn't pick
    > it up!" whines...
    >
    > But I don't think we should mention it to Billy, he may want some form
    > of commission for keeping us in Jellybean money!

    I quite like this bug/security breach. I sent the boss out (as I'm already
    too busy) to fix all the computers for people who have phoned in. Just as he
    gets to the last one I phone him with another bunch of people to go see. He
    will be gone for hours LMAO excellent :)

    Rider

    Rider, Aug 12, 2003
  5. Rider

    MarkH Guest

    > Yes... yes I've just started getting the "My Nortons/AVG didn't pick
    > it up!" whines...

    I know what you mean, I keep telling customers that NAV is not very smart
    and will let through any virus that it doesn’t know. That’s why it is
    vital that the updates are done.

    Of course this new virus is so new that the update yesterday will not pick
    up the virus, you need today’s update.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Aug 12, 2003
  6. "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > And "Why didnt my Norton pick it up?????" LOL Should send a thank you

    email
    > to Bill Gates for keeping me in a job I suppose LOL

    Why not send it to the worm's author?

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 12, 2003
  7. Rider

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:12:03 +1200, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Nigel Howe" <nigelh@call+plus.co.nz> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> Well, I've now heard from about a dozen other people with the same
    > >> problem, and between them they meet the minimum brain cell
    > >> requirements, so I'm picking that it is indeed the work of the little
    > >> nasty Howard mentioned.
    > >>
    > >> I like most MS products, but why oh why don't they consider security
    > >> before releasing them into the wild?
    > >>
    > >> Oh well, keeps people employed I guess...

    > >We've just had 3 calls in the last 15 minutes . Looks like its gonna be a
    > >busy day LOL
    > >
    > >Rider
    > >

    > Hehe, yes, it's going to be one of "those" days...
    >
    > We're up to about 55 so far.
    >
    > The number of people who are blaming the ISP, because it's come
    > through their connection... so funny :)

    From an email form Xtra, just recieved:

    Dear Xtra customer,

    Microsoft has issued a worldwide warning about a computer worm
    commonly known as W32 Blaster that can infect computers running
    Windows XP, Windows NT4, Windows Server 2003 and Windows 2000.
    Your computer can be infected simply by connecting to the
    Internet.

    The worm is not being transferred by email and, as a result, your
    computer will not be protected by Xtra's anti-virus email filter.

    Tools to fix the problem have been released and if you are running one
    of the operating systems mentioned above, it is vital you protect your
    system from this worm immediately.

    When you connect to the Internet after August 15th, all infected
    computers will try and flood Microsoft's Windows update Web site with
    large volumes of traffic.

    The steps you need to take are:

    If you have Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, enable the Internet
    Connection Firewall (ICF). To do this you will need to:

    1. Ensure you are not currently connected to Xtra

    2. Click the Start button

    3. Click Control Panel

    4. Click Networking and Internet Connections, and then click Network
    Connections (some computers may have the Network Connections icon directly
    inside the Control Panel).

    5. Right-click the connection on which you would like to enable the
    firewall (normally this is labelled as "Xtra"), and then click Properties.

    6. On the Advanced tab, click the box to select the option to "Protect my
    computer or network?"

    7. Click OK

    8. Close the Control Panel

    If you are running Windows 2000 or Windows NT, install an Internet firewall
    of your choice.

    How do I know if I've been infected?
    This may not be immediately obvious, however typical symptoms include your
    computer closing down while you're online and restarting without any
    warning. Visit this site http://www.xtra.co.nz/latest if you want more
    information about whether or not your computer has been infected.

    If your PC is not infected
    Download the appropriate patch via
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp. This site also
    includes information about firewalls and worm removal tools. Note that the
    patch required for Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional is available
    via the "Windows XP (32 bit)" link. Update and run your anti-virus software.
    Customers who don't currently have an anti-virus program installed should
    refer to http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/antivirus.asp for help
    about anti-virus software or a list of Microsoft partners.
    Download any other required patches at http://www.windowsupdate.com

    Infected
    If your computer's operating system has already been infected with this
    worm,
    the Microsoft patch will not be effective on its own. You will need to visit
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/latest where you will find information to help you.

    Additional information for remedying the effects of this worm is also
    available at http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

    For further support, please visit Microsoft at
    http://www.microsoft.com/security or telephone 0800 800 004.

    Microsoft assures us they are working hard to deal with this issue. We will
    keep you informed of any updates on our Web site.

    Kind regards

    The Team@Xtra

    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 13, 2003
  8. Rider

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:31:12 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:

    >"When you connect to the Internet after August 15th, all infected
    >computers will try and flood Microsoft's Windows update Web site with
    >large volumes of traffic."

    LOL! It's already happening now! Have you tried to get into Windows
    Update in the lat few hours? All the people who didn't have the patch
    are DDOSing Microsoft's WindowsUpdate and Download sites!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 15, 2003
  9. "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > >"When you connect to the Internet after August 15th, all infected
    > >computers will try and flood Microsoft's Windows update Web site with
    > >large volumes of traffic."
    > >

    > LOL! It's already happening now! Have you tried to get into Windows
    > Update in the lat few hours? All the people who didn't have the patch
    > are DDOSing Microsoft's WindowsUpdate and Download sites!

    No problems that I can see here now, and I've tried several differnet
    ISPs...
    Are you sure?

    Are you going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com ?

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 15, 2003