Re: WinXP shutting down

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Howard, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Nigel Howe wrote:
    > Howdy all...
    >
    > A friend of mine is bugging me about some anomaly within WinXP.
    >
    > Apparently from time to time when he is online, XP comes up with a
    > message advising him that his PC is going to shut down, and prompts
    > him to save all his work, then commences a count down, before shutting
    > the PC down.
    >
    > I'm not an XP person, loathe it to all hell, so have no idea what this
    > might be... has anyone got any idea what is going on?
    >
    > He seems unable to actually rub a pair of brain cells together (well
    > hell, he's using XP after all) and hasn't bothered to write down the
    > message, but has remembered it mentions RTC or something similar... a
    > google search has suggested it may be a fatal error in something, but
    > it just doesn't sound like it... the PC is some generic name brand and
    > is about 2 weeks off the shelf.

    Just the latest MS bug being exploited. Apply the patches quick.

    http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11
    Howard, Aug 11, 2003

  2. "Howard" <> wrote in message
    > Just the latest MS bug being exploited. Apply the patches quick.
    >
    > http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11

    If you've already been exploited, then applying the patches isn't enough to
    remediate the situation.
    Consider flattening your box, and applying patches (whilst offline)
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 12, 2003

  3. Howard

    Steven H Guest

    In article <892_a.113766$>, nathan@4757979!!!
    SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz says...
    > "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > > as soon as i found out about the exploit i blocked it from my firewall
    > > (both in and out - stupid network users) - for the hell of it i decided
    > > to log all the connection attempts and im getting heaps of them - blody
    > > unbelieveable.

    > Absolutely. Have you considered blocking 135 inbound all the time anyway?

    that is what iam doing right now, only concern is that i *THINK* i may
    be fucking with normal network traffic.

    i got 135 incoming blocked on all interfaces (network, internet) and iam
    getting dozens of connections from my flatmates so iam unsure whether i
    should block it on the internal network - should i

    many thanks

    Steven H
    Steven H, Aug 13, 2003
  4. "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > > Absolutely. Have you considered blocking 135 inbound all the time

    anyway?

    > that is what iam doing right now, only concern is that i *THINK* i may
    > be fucking with normal network traffic.

    Yes you are. Definitely block the Internet interface.

    > i got 135 incoming blocked on all interfaces (network, internet) and iam
    > getting dozens of connections from my flatmates so iam unsure whether i
    > should block it on the internal network - should i

    If you're patches are up to date, and you trust your flatmate consider
    unblocking the traffic on the internal network :)
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 13, 2003