Re: WinXP Pro preferred default search option in Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Jul 4, 2010.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:support.microsoft.com "windows xp" default search companion
    VanguardLH, Jul 4, 2010

  2. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Richard Owlett wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Owlett wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've gotten used to a specific way of looking for files. I search
    >>> by file name (or portion)>>99% of the time. The default search behavior of WinXP *AS INSTALLED* is to bring
    >>> up a overly sophisticated search scheme dependent on a bunch of
    >>> indexes. To get the search method I wish, I must manually click
    >>> on "Click here to use Search Companion".
    >>>
    >>> I wish to *ALWAYS* use that. How can I tell WinXP to go there
    >>> anytime I click on any search in Windows Explorer?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> http://www.google.com/search?q=site:support.microsoft.com "windows xp" default search companion

    > I am an active proponent of "Google it".
    > But Google isn't cure-all ;/
    >
    > I had started by using WinXP's "Help" - there's a double entendre
    > in the quote's ;/
    >
    > I should have - but didn't - Google.
    > I used your search terms as a starting point and then did a half
    > dozen variations. I found nothing useful.
    >
    > Comparing articles written ~2001 with current installed system, I
    > suspect the term "Search Companion" has inverted its meaning.
    > Then it meant *use* indexing.
    > Now means do *NOT* use indexing.
    >
    > Thank you. Any other ideas?

    Search companion is the search interface. It is separate of the old
    (included) file indexing service included in Windows XP. Perhaps what
    you are thinking of as the "new" indexed search is Windows Search (used
    to be called Desktop Search). While it is included in the install of
    Vista and later, you have to go download it and install it for Windows
    XP.

    Also, the search mechanism of the search companion (with or without the
    cutsy character) was changed in Windows XP. In prior versions of
    Windows, a search meant to find any file that matched on the specified
    search criteria. In Windows XP, Microsoft fucked up the search by only
    finding files for which there was defined a handler to view that file.
    That means you could open a command shell and do a 'dir' listing to see
    the existance of a file that the search couldn't find because it was an
    unknown filetype. Oh great. To get rid of that stupidity, I replaced
    the search included in Windows with Agent Ransack (the freeware version
    of File Locator).

    Get Microsoft's TweakUI powertoy for Windows XP (there are other means
    or instructions on how to change the following settings but TweakUI
    makes it easy). Under the Explorer node, there are 2 settings which
    will revert to the "classic" search companion interface that you are
    probably used to:

    Use Classic Search in [Windows] Explorer
    Use Classic Search in Internet Explorer

    If you enable those options, you revert to the old or classic search
    interface. Because the options are separate, you can choose which to
    use in which application. I use classic search in Windows Explorer
    while I use the newer companion interface in Internet Explorer.
    However, for doing typical file search on my host, I use Agent Ransack
    to eliminate Windows from skipping files in its search for which no
    handler is assigned. I'm not specifically trying to open the files to
    look at their contents when I just want to search on them by filename.

    If you don't want the included indexing service running, you can
    configure it in the Services applet (services.msc) to disable it, or you
    can use the Search Companion panel (when shown in the Explorer Bar) in
    Windows Explorer by clicking on the chevron after "Search Options" and
    then clicking on the "Indexing Service" link. Unless you are extremely
    messly in your [lack of hierarchical] organization of your files, are
    very forgetful, or share your drives with others so you haven't clue
    what might be on them at any time, there is almost no need for a file
    indexing service to be wasting CPU cycles and [re]building indexes.
    VanguardLH, Jul 5, 2010