Re: WinXP Home & Networking problems.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daniel, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    &
    > >though we can see her, we cant browse to her system

    > Not sure what you mean by that. If you can see her on the network,
    > you ARE browsing to her. OTOH, you may not be able to browse her
    > computer for shared resources.
    >
    > Correct me if I I'm wrong: Sounds like no other computers show up in
    > her network browse list. And while her computer shows up in other
    > computers' network browse lists, they are denied access when they try
    > to browse it for shared resources. Close? Do other computers receive
    > a specific error message when they try to browse her computer?

    Correct...I can see her as part of the workgroup, but not able to look at
    any shared files/folders/drives.

    (also any idea why I can't get my CD-RW & DVD-ROM drives to show up as
    accessable to other systems...it's my XP Pro that is doing this, 98SE is
    fine?)

    > >(4 on network in all,
    > >but 1 shut down due to keyboard issue that I've not had the chance to
    > >fix...1 Win98 & another WinXP Pro...I heard too many problems with home &
    > >went with pro). She does have a network connection as internet access

    works
    > >just fine. Her computer name shows up in the workgroups on my 98 &

    XPPro.
    > >Also I've got a chat/messaging/ap-sharing/remote admin type of program
    > >("E/Pop", one of the older versions) on all systems. It shows her system

    as
    > >online & available (shows last time it came online too) on both my 98 &
    > >XPPro systems, but on hers it doesn't show anyone (not even herself, just

    as
    > >in "My Networking Places" she can't see herself either...if she tries to
    > >view the network it locks & she has to end task on networking places).
    > >Though I can see her in every way, I can't browse to her or message her

    with
    > >this software (so her system is getting info out, but not receiving

    anything
    > >or able to view anything).
    > > As far as I know the system had been rebooted before this issue

    occured
    > >& after all software installed/configured.
    > > System restore back to last known working day did nothing to

    networking
    > >settings.
    > > Any way to go in & manually change the network settings (more like

    with
    > >Win98) rather than let XP try to do it on it's own through this wizzard
    > >stuff (which though nice to the novice, a pain to those who may be able

    > >fix it if had access to the actual settings to see what could be going

    on)?

    > Make sure her computer is on the same workgroup as the other
    > computers. And add the same user accounts to her computer as are used
    > on the other computers.

    It is...for ease of use purposes I use "Homeuser" for all systems (I type it
    that way though it shows up as all upper case...but my XP Pro doesnt have a
    problem, only her XP Home...& it worked for a little while...though why
    doesn't system restore restore networking settings? Or does it but then
    something else broke them?)
    Daniel, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Can you ping the XP Pro machine?
    Makes sure the firewall is not enabled on any of the machines and try again.

    DC

    Douglas Carson, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:14:41 -0600, "Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyahooDOTcom>
    wrote:

    >"Dan Shea" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:46:37 -0600, "Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyahooDOTcom>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >My girlfriend is having networking issues with XP Home. Her system was
    >> >recently added to the network. Everything was fine until she rebooted
    >> >yesterday. Now Windows wont recognize any other computers on the network

    >&
    >> >though we can see her, we cant browse to her system

    >> Not sure what you mean by that. If you can see her on the network,
    >> you ARE browsing to her. OTOH, you may not be able to browse her
    >> computer for shared resources.
    >>
    >> Correct me if I I'm wrong: Sounds like no other computers show up in
    >> her network browse list. And while her computer shows up in other
    >> computers' network browse lists, they are denied access when they try
    >> to browse it for shared resources. Close? Do other computers receive
    >> a specific error message when they try to browse her computer?
    >>

    >Correct...I can see her as part of the workgroup, but not able to look at
    >any shared files/folders/drives.

    What happens when you try? Give specific error messages.

    >(also any idea why I can't get my CD-RW & DVD-ROM drives to show up as
    >accessable to other systems...it's my XP Pro that is doing this, 98SE is
    >fine?)

    One question per customer per thread. :) Clarify, please -- the CD
    and DVD drives on the XP Pro machine are in fact shared, but don't
    appear when other computers browse the XP Pro machine over the
    network?

    >> >(4 on network in all,
    >> >but 1 shut down due to keyboard issue that I've not had the chance to
    >> >fix...1 Win98 & another WinXP Pro...I heard too many problems with home &
    >> >went with pro). She does have a network connection as internet access

    >works
    >> >just fine. Her computer name shows up in the workgroups on my 98 &

    >XPPro.
    >> >Also I've got a chat/messaging/ap-sharing/remote admin type of program
    >> >("E/Pop", one of the older versions) on all systems. It shows her system

    >as
    >> >online & available (shows last time it came online too) on both my 98 &
    >> >XPPro systems, but on hers it doesn't show anyone (not even herself, just

    >as
    >> >in "My Networking Places" she can't see herself either...if she tries to
    >> >view the network it locks & she has to end task on networking places).
    >> >Though I can see her in every way, I can't browse to her or message her

    >with
    >> >this software (so her system is getting info out, but not receiving

    >anything
    >> >or able to view anything).
    >> > As far as I know the system had been rebooted before this issue

    >occured
    >> >& after all software installed/configured.
    >> > System restore back to last known working day did nothing to

    >networking
    >> >settings.
    >> > Any way to go in & manually change the network settings (more like

    >with
    >> >Win98) rather than let XP try to do it on it's own through this wizzard
    >> >stuff (which though nice to the novice, a pain to those who may be able

    >> >fix it if had access to the actual settings to see what could be going

    >on)?
    >>
    >> Make sure her computer is on the same workgroup as the other
    >> computers. And add the same user accounts to her computer as are used
    >> on the other computers.
    >>

    >It is...for ease of use purposes I use "Homeuser" for all systems (I type it
    >that way though it shows up as all upper case...

    Is there a password required on that account? Make sure that's
    identical across all computers as well.

    >but my XP Pro doesnt have a
    >problem, only her XP Home...& it worked for a little while...though why
    >doesn't system restore restore networking settings? Or does it but then
    >something else broke them?)

    AFAIK XP's System Restore should restore network settings. You may
    have selected a restore point that already had the changes made, or
    something else busted things after the fact... Why did you use System
    Restore, and what wasn't as it was supposed to be?

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "Dan Shea" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:14:41 -0600, "Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyahooDOTcom>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Dan Shea" <> wrote in message

    was

    network
    > >&
    > >>
    > >> Not sure what you mean by that. If you can see her on the network,
    > >> you ARE browsing to her. OTOH, you may not be able to browse her
    > >> computer for shared resources.
    > >>
    > >> Correct me if I I'm wrong: Sounds like no other computers show up in
    > >> her network browse list. And while her computer shows up in other
    > >> computers' network browse lists, they are denied access when they try
    > >> to browse it for shared resources. Close? Do other computers receive
    > >> a specific error message when they try to browse her computer?
    > >>

    > >Correct...I can see her as part of the workgroup, but not able to look at
    > >any shared files/folders/drives.

    > What happens when you try? Give specific error messages.

    The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
    correctly & try again.

    Also, just tried, cant ping (request timed out) her from here (98SE) & can
    ping my other XP Pro though. She can ping either of mine just fine.

    > >(also any idea why I can't get my CD-RW & DVD-ROM drives to show up as
    > >accessable to other systems...it's my XP Pro that is doing this, 98SE is
    > >fine?)

    > One question per customer per thread. :) Clarify, please -- the CD
    > and DVD drives on the XP Pro machine are in fact shared, but don't
    > appear when other computers browse the XP Pro machine over the
    > network?

    Yes..I try to share the drives but they're not visible to other computers
    (though they do show up in "my computer" as shared with the hand icon under
    them).

    home &

    > >works

    > >XPPro.

    system
    > >as

    &

    just
    > >as

    her
    > >with

    > >anything

    > >occured

    > >networking

    > >with

    wizzard

    able

    > >on)?
    > >>
    > >> Make sure her computer is on the same workgroup as the other
    > >> computers. And add the same user accounts to her computer as are used
    > >> on the other computers.
    > >>

    > >It is...for ease of use purposes I use "Homeuser" for all systems (I type

    it
    > >that way though it shows up as all upper case...

    > Is there a password required on that account? Make sure that's
    > identical across all computers as well.

    No password for the main WindowsXP login account & the guest account is
    disabled.

    > >but my XP Pro doesnt have a
    > >problem, only her XP Home...& it worked for a little while...though why
    > >doesn't system restore restore networking settings? Or does it but then
    > >something else broke them?)

    > AFAIK XP's System Restore should restore network settings. You may
    > have selected a restore point that already had the changes made, or
    > something else busted things after the fact... Why did you use System
    > Restore, and what wasn't as it was supposed to be?

    We did it because Tuesday morning Windows Media player was acting up while
    she was playing MP3s (set for random playlist but not doing random...or was
    randomly selecting the next one down the list) so she rebooted. When
    windows came back up she lost network access all together. She isn't
    completely sure what all was done after that but she tried going through the
    rebuilding of the networking settings & got her internet connection back
    again. Still no network though & if you go into "my networking places" &
    try to view the workgroup it goes VERY slow & hangs (eventually have to end
    task on it). Also the program e/pop that I've got on there (for
    message/chat/remote admin) shows herself listed as all users on the network
    (but the system starts running VERY slow when it is up...when minimized into
    the system tray it's OK...that program isn't the problem based on the fact
    that its been on since the first day & was also working just fine up to that
    point of the reboot). Also my computers both show her as on the network
    (but cant browse her system or see shared drives/folders as mentioned above)
    & e/pop does show what time she last logged in (as normal) & that she's
    there.

    Basically she can send info but not receive.
    Daniel, Apr 2, 2004
  5. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "Douglas Carson" <> wrote in
    message news:aaTac.6086$...
    > Can you ping the XP Pro machine?
    > Makes sure the firewall is not enabled on any of the machines and try

    again.

    It was, but disabled that & still didnt fix it.

    Daniel, Apr 2, 2004
  6. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Also, firewall has now been disabled as well...same issue.
    Daniel, Apr 2, 2004