Re: Windows XP Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimchip, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Jimchip

    Jimchip Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:10:10 GMT, Jeff L wrote:
    > I just upgraded a PC from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Pro over the
    > weekend. It is a clean-install using NTFS. The problem is that when
    > I shut the computer down, it won't power all the way off. The hard
    > drive will stop running, but it will hang on the Windows XP screen
    > (black background) that says "It is now safe to switch off your
    > computer". It shouldn't do this at all on an ATX machine, and it
    > never did it on Win98. In order to shut all the way down, I need to
    > press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
    >
    > I updated to the latest BIOS (which was dated 12/30/1999), and that
    > was no help. I also downloaded and installed SP1 and all critical
    > updates for WinXP. The motherboard is 5 years old, and is a FIC
    > VB-601 with an Intel 440BX chipset. CPU is Pentium-3, 550 MHz.
    >
    > Has anyone ever seen this before? Is it possible to resolve this
    > issue without buying any new hardware (motherboard, CPU, etc)?

    Maybe something here will help:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    --
    We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve
    one technical problem -- how to run sunlight through a meter.

    Jimchip, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Jimchip

    Jeff L Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:47:09 -0000, Jimchip
    <> wrote:

    >http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    Thanks! This solved my powerdown problem. I needed to enable the
    APM/NT Legacy Node in Windows XP. If anyone else is having this
    problem, go to the above website, and follow instructions under
    "Powerdown Problems".

    Jeff L, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Jimchip

    thesaxmaniac

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Helpful, but I don't know much!

    Hi all.
    I've got the same problem. Windows shuts down but no powerdown etc.

    However I can't enable the APM/NT Legacy Node in Windows XP. I'm running XP Home and I don't seem to have that option ANYWHERE! Can someone please help me?

    thesaxmaniac, Jun 28, 2006
  4. Jimchip

    animonster

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Same problem

    Ok, I have the same problem at home, but I am running windows xp pro. (The best part of my problem with my home computer is that it used to work before a hard drive format)

    I have no apm tab in power options of the control panel, and no APM/NT Legacy Node in the device manager. The computer type is set to ACPI multiprocessor pc.

    I compared this against my beast of a graphics workstation at work, and it doesn't have the apm tab or the APM/NT Legacy Node either, but it powers down just fine. Here, like my pc at home, the computer type is set to ACPI multiprocessor pc.

    I KNOW my home pc is cabable because it used to power down before I formatted and re-installed Windows.

    Anyone have any good ideas?

    animonster, Aug 9, 2006