RE: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version Confusion

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by nuria-171265@hotmail.com, Apr 29, 2008.

  1. Guest

    "Edward Adart" wrote:

    > Hey there,
    >
    > I'm investigating Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, and having recently
    > purchased an AMD Athlon 64 system, am considering giving it a test-drive.
    > However, while researching it I have run into some confusing points. So, at
    > the risk of looking like a complete idiot, I wonder if someone could please
    > clarify these points:
    >
    > * While perusing through the security updates available for x64 on Technet
    > Download Center, I noticed that in the Product Selection menu, you could
    > select between two versions of x64, "Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition"
    > and "Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition Version 2003". I wasn't aware
    > there were two separate distinct versions of Windows XP x64?
    >
    > *Further, if I selected "Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition", I can
    > choose between the gold or SP1 version. I wasn't aware there was a Service
    > Pack available for Windows x64, and searching for additional information
    > turned up nothing?
    >
    > *Finally, when comparing the three different versions of 64-Bit (Windows XP
    > Professional 64-Bit Edition Gold + Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition
    > SP1 + Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 Gold (There is no
    > SP1 for the Version 2003 Edition), I noticed the security updates seemed to
    > be the opposite of what one would expect (This is when "redundant" updates
    > are selected not to be shown, but updates of every severity are shown):
    > Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition Gold: 40 Updates
    > Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition SP1: 41 Updates
    > Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition Version 2003: 62 Updates
    >
    > Last, there appears to be a mistake in the download center, in that versions
    > of Windows Server 2003 are listed in the Service Pack selection dialog when
    > versions of XP x64 are selected, despite being two separate OS's.
    >
    > Apologies if I am being dense, but I find this somewhat ambiguous and
    > confusing.
    >
    > Yours sincerely,
    >
    > Edward Adart

    , Apr 29, 2008

  2. Windows XP 64-bit Edition is for Itanium (IA64). This is the one that has a
    second release called Windows XP 64-bit Edition, Version 2003. Unless you
    are running an Itanium cpu you do not want either of these.

    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is for the more common x86-64 computers
    (AMD64, Core 2, etc). Windows XP Professional x64 updates and service packs
    are the same as for Windows Server 2003 so that is not a mistake in the
    download area. XP Pro x64 is built on the same NT 5.2 codebase as WS2k3.
    XP Pro x64 released at the same time as SP1 for Windows Server 2003 so that
    is why XP Pro x64 shipped already at service pack level 1.

    There is no SP1 standalone download or Windows Update package. The current
    service pack level is 2. The SP2 download is found in the Windows Server
    2003 download area because the same package is used for both.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 29, 2008

  3. mikeydwhite Guest

    So basically I have to purchase a 64-bit version for my new athlon64 system?
    Right?
    --
    MikeyD

    mikeydwhite, Jul 28, 2008
  4. R. C. White Guest

    Hi, MikeyD.

    What is your question, really?

    ANY version of Vista will run fine on an AMD Athlon 64 system, so long as
    all the other requirements (BIOS, RAM, HD, etc.) are met. Specifically, any
    x86 (32-bit) version of Vista will run as well - or maybe better - than on
    32-bit hardware. Practically all 32-bit applications will run as well or
    better on a 64-bit system. You do NOT have to have a 64-bit operating
    system or 64-bit applications just because you have 64-bit hardware.

    Is THAT your question? If not, please clarify what you really want to know.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 28, 2008
  5. mikeydwhite Guest

    R. C. White,
    So my question was exactly this: Can I run WINXP Pro 32-bit edition on my
    new AMD64 system? I believe your answer was just what I was looking for "You
    do NOT have to have a 64-bit operating system or 64-bit applications just
    because you have 64-bit hardware." Thank you R.C. White

    --
    MikeyD

    mikeydwhite, Jul 28, 2008
  6. Correct. You can run 32-bit Windows XP Professional on your Athlon 64 based
    system. The only limitation is that you are effectively limited to about 3
    GB of RAM.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 28, 2008
  7. R. C. White Guest

    Hi, MikeyD.

    You're welcome. I'm glad I answered the right question. ;<)

    With your 64-bit hardware, you can install any 32-bit operating system
    (Win9x, WinXP, Vista x86, etc. - or even a non-Microsoft OS) and run it as
    long as you like. When you are ready, make sure you have 64-bit drivers for
    all your hardware, then install (NOT "upgrade", as often discussed here)
    Vista x64 or another 64-bit OS.

    RC

    R. C. White, Jul 28, 2008
  8. wpbpatfl Guest

    I just bought a Canon FaxPhone L-170 and can't install the software because
    Canon has no driver for XP Professional x64. Does anyone know of a generic
    driver I can install so that I can use this machine as a printer? -- Pat
    wpbpatfl, Aug 7, 2008
  9. I don't know the model, but take a look at what the basic capabilities of
    the printer are. Does it have, for example, a PCL5 engine? As long as the
    printer doesn't use "host based printing" or something equivalent (where all
    the smarts are running in their custom software, instead of on the printer
    itself), you should be able to find a model that's close enough to work as a
    printer. I'd start by looking at any Canon models that are supported, and
    see if any are similar enough to be useful.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2008
  10. Hery Guest

    Actually what is the advantages if i'm using windows 64 edition on the 64bit
    hardware. I have 64bit hardware and i;m installing windows 32bit edition. and
    it's work normally. So there are a big differen between them???
    Hery, Dec 13, 2008
  11. Don Guest

    "Hery" <> wrote in message
    > Actually what is the advantages if i'm using windows 64 edition on the
    > 64bit
    > hardware. I have 64bit hardware and i;m installing windows 32bit edition.
    > and
    > it's work normally. So there are a big differen between them???

    For now the biggest difference is 64 bit will allow your system to use more
    ram. There is a 4gb address space limitation in 32 bit Windows, and it will
    use some of that space to map resources such as video card, sound card, etc.
    So if you have say 4gb of ram installed, you may only get to use somewhere
    around 3gb or so.
    That limitation does not exist in a 64 bit OS.

    As time moves on and more apps are written for 64 bit then the difference
    will become more pronounced.

    --
    Don
    Don, Dec 13, 2008
  12. Jim L Guest

    As these 64 bit apps start turning up will Windows XP pro x64 run them as
    well as Vista X64? I ask because I have a copy of XP x64 (not yet installed)
    and would like to skip Vista altogether, going directly from XP to Windows 7.

    Jim L, Dec 24, 2008
  13. Guest

    On Dec 24, 5:58 am, Jim L <Jim > wrote:
    > As these 64 bit apps start turning up will Windows XP pro x64 run them as
    > well as Vista X64? I ask because I have a copy of XP x64 (not yet installed)
    > and would like to skip Vista altogether, going directly from XP to Windows 7.
    >
    > "Don" wrote:
    > > As time moves on and more apps are written for 64 bit then the difference
    > > will become more pronounced.

    A few games have 64 bit modes, such as Half Life 2. I gather there are
    more instructions in the 64 bit instruction set since the games
    perform more complex rendering. I doubt the programs use more RAM in
    64 bit mode.

    Regarding Half Life 2, 64 bit mode was actually a pain for a while
    since it was full of bugs. It got installed as an update and couldn't
    be uninstalled. [How Microsoft of them!] Eventually the bugs were
    worked out.
    , Dec 25, 2008
  14. Russ Guest

    Everything will move toward windows 64, at least anyting that needs the ram.

    Russ, Aug 6, 2009
  15. Raven Guest

    I have just upgraded to a 64 bit computer and would like to use windows xp
    pro x64 but I cant seem to find anywhere to get it.Any help or pointers would
    be appreciated
    Raven, Nov 11, 2009
  16. XS11E Guest

    Raven <> wrote:

    > I have just upgraded to a 64 bit computer and would like to use
    > windows xp pro x64 but I cant seem to find anywhere to get it.Any
    > help or pointers would be appreciated

    Why the interest in a totally obsolete OS? Get 64 bit Vista or 64 bit
    Windows 7.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Nov 11, 2009
  17. Guest

    In <>, =?Utf-8?B?UmF2ZW4=?= <> writes:
    >I have just upgraded to a 64 bit computer and would like to use windows xp
    >pro x64 but I cant seem to find anywhere to get it.Any help or pointers would
    >be appreciated

    I understand it is no longer sold by Microsoft dealers.

    You could try for a pirate copy from the usual suspects.
    , Nov 11, 2009
  18. Raven Guest

    It might be obsolete but I know my way around xp and I am comfortable using
    it.So since I managed to get a secondhand 64 bit processor I figured I might
    as well get xp pro 64.Don't have the money to upgrade the rest of my computer
    to run vista or 7 and don't have any inclination to have to relearn all my
    operating systems intricasies and such.
    Raven, Nov 11, 2009
  19. XS11E Guest

    Raven <> wrote:

    > It might be obsolete but I know my way around xp and I am
    > comfortable using it.So since I managed to get a secondhand 64 bit
    > processor I figured I might as well get xp pro 64.Don't have the
    > money to upgrade the rest of my computer to run vista or 7 and
    > don't have any inclination to have to relearn all my operating
    > systems intricasies and such.

    Then use XP. You'll very likely have to get a pirated copy of XP 64
    bit and then have a whole bunch of trouble finding the drivers that you
    need. You'll also find that there's no advantage at all in running XP
    64 over XP.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Nov 11, 2009
  20. Guest

    In <>, =?Utf-8?B?UmF2ZW4=?= <> writes:
    >It might be obsolete but I know my way around xp and I am comfortable using
    >it.So since I managed to get a secondhand 64 bit processor I figured I might
    >as well get xp pro 64.Don't have the money to upgrade the rest of my computer
    >to run vista or 7 and don't have any inclination to have to relearn all my
    >operating systems intricasies and such.

    I empathise with you. Be aware however that all Win 64 bit OSs have dropped 16
    bit support.

    This means no DOS, no Netbios, no 16 bit drivers for old adapters & peripherals
    and I suppose no win 3.x apps. I still use all of these on an old box because
    they are good enough for my needs.
    , Nov 12, 2009