Re: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version Confusion

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Rick, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Anything labeled Windows XP Professional 64-bit is for the Intel Itanium
    and will not run on an Athlon 64 or Intel EM64T.

    If you start to download a 64-bit program and it has "ia64" in it, then
    that is for the Intel Itanium.

    Files for Windows XP Professional x64 will have "x64" in the name.

    Rick, Mar 13, 2006

  2. Microsoft is also at fault, some of there downloads are purposely available
    as for Windows 64-Bit, which 64-bit??? It should be written as Windows XP
    for Itanium Systems.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 13, 2006

  3. i'm having the same problem . we have to demand that ms allos us using win xp
    pro 64 bit to be able to create a dual boot keeping our xp programs. i have
    several partiyions and a second sat drive in my computer ready to install a
    dual boot. Help......!!!!! or . Thanks

    emmanuel prepetit, Jan 12, 2010
  4. There is absolutely no one in this group that can address your
    situation. The people participating in the discussions are not
    Microsoft employees; we're just customers like you.

    You need to contact your Microsoft representative that you get your
    software and support through.

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 12, 2010
  5. Rick

    Tom Lake Guest

    "emmanuel prepetit" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > i'm having the same problem . we have to demand that ms allos us using win
    > xp
    > pro 64 bit to be able to create a dual boot keeping our xp programs. i
    > have
    > several partiyions and a second sat drive in my computer ready to install
    > dual boot. Help......!!!!! or . Thanks

    Why? How many 64-bit XP programs do you have? For 32-bit programs the
    freely downloadable XP mode works great and you can put the icons right
    on your desktop alongside the Win 7 icons.

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Jan 12, 2010
  6. Rick

    GS Guest

    pardon me for jumping in
    > > Anything labeled Windows XP Professional 64-bit is for the Intel Itanium
    > > and will not run on an Athlon 64 or Intel EM64T.

    Did I miss-read something?
    I had xp 64 pro running on my previous Athlon 64 PC which was not Itanium
    GS, Jan 13, 2010
  7. Rick

    Zootal Guest

    "GS" <> wrote in message

    > pardon me for jumping in
    >> > Anything labeled Windows XP Professional 64-bit is for the Intel
    >> > Itanium
    >> > and will not run on an Athlon 64 or Intel EM64T.

    > Did I miss-read something?
    > I had xp 64 pro running on my previous Athlon 64 PC which was not Itanium

    I still run it on my Phenom X4 9950, and have for a few years. Runs fine :).
    Zootal, Jan 13, 2010
  8. Rick

    Zootal Guest

    "Zootal" <> wrote in message

    > "GS" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> pardon me for jumping in

    >> Did I miss-read something?
    >> I had xp 64 pro running on my previous Athlon 64 PC which was not Itanium
    >>

    > I still run it on my Phenom X4 9950, and have for a few years. Runs fine
    > :).

    I might mention that on the same machine, I boot to XP64, XP32, Windows7,
    and linux. All work fine.
    Zootal, Jan 13, 2010
  9. Rick

    DAN M. Guest

    "emmanuel prepetit" wrote:

    > i'm having the same problem . we have to demand that ms allos us using win xp
    > pro 64 bit to be able to create a dual boot keeping our xp programs. i have
    > several partiyions and a second sat drive in my computer ready to install a
    > dual boot. Help......!!!!! or . Thanks
    >
    > "Rick" wrote:
    >
    > > Anything labeled Windows XP Professional 64-bit is for the Intel Itanium
    > > and will not run on an Athlon 64 or Intel EM64T.
    > >
    > > If you start to download a 64-bit program and it has "ia64" in it, then
    > > that is for the Intel Itanium.
    > >
    > > Files for Windows XP Professional x64 will have "x64" in the name.
    > >

    > > Edward Adart wrote:
    > > > Hey there,
    > > >
    > > > I'm investigating Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, and having recently
    > > > purchased an AMD Athlon 64 system, am considering giving it a test-drive.
    > > > However, while researching it I have run into some confusing points. So, at
    > > > the risk of looking like a complete idiot, I wonder if someone could please
    > > > clarify these points:
    > > >
    > > > * While perusing through the security updates available for x64 on Technet
    > > > Download Center, I noticed that in the Product Selection menu, you could
    > > > select between two versions of x64, "Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition"
    > > > and "Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition Version 2003". I wasn't aware
    > > > there were two separate distinct versions of Windows XP x64?
    > > >
    > > > *Further, if I selected "Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition", I can
    > > > choose between the gold or SP1 version. I wasn't aware there was a Service
    > > > Pack available for Windows x64, and searching for additional information
    > > > turned up nothing?
    > > >
    > > > *Finally, when comparing the three different versions of 64-Bit (Windows XP
    > > > Professional 64-Bit Edition Gold + Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition
    > > > SP1 + Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 Gold (There is no
    > > > SP1 for the Version 2003 Edition), I noticed the security updates seemed to
    > > > be the opposite of what one would expect (This is when "redundant" updates
    > > > are selected not to be shown, but updates of every severity are shown):
    > > > Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition Gold: 40 Updates
    > > > Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition SP1: 41 Updates
    > > > Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition Version 2003: 62 Updates
    > > >
    > > > Last, there appears to be a mistake in the download center, in that versions
    > > > of Windows Server 2003 are listed in the Service Pack selection dialog when
    > > > versions of XP x64 are selected, despite being two separate OS's.
    > > >
    > > > Apologies if I am being dense, but I find this somewhat ambiguous and
    > > > confusing.
    > > >
    > > > Yours sincerely,
    > > >
    > > > Edward Adart
    > > >

    > > A similar post with explications got at : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/bowman_05nov07.mspx