Re: Windows XP PRO - boot disk on CD only.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 17, 2008.

  1. In article <>, Crash did write:

    > In addition to this I do not have a copy of Windows PRO - I have just
    > the rescue disks ... Can anyone point me in the direction
    > of any utility that will allow me to create a boot CD?

    I don't think there's any legal way to do what you ask.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 17, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Apr 17, 9:36 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In article <>, Crash did write:
    >
    > > In addition to this I do not have a copy of Windows PRO - I have just
    > > the rescue disks ... Can anyone point me in the direction
    > > of any utility that will allow me to create a boot CD?

    > I don't think there's any legal way to do what you ask.

    Create an image of the C drive using the partimage on the System
    Rescue CD and a memory stick with (say) 60% of the 'used' capacity on
    the HD. If you can configure things so 'user' data is on another
    partition, all the better. Partimage saves used sectors/ clusters
    only and compresses the image.

    If things jam up, use System Rescue and a memory stick to save 'user'
    data, restore the partition with the image you saved, then restore the
    'user' data.

    You do need some understanding of *NIX commands and of device naming
    conventions.

    It is not a bid idea to take an image of the C partition upon
    unpacking a new computer with Windows nstalled.

    peterwn, Apr 17, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Lodi Guest

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:58:17 +1200, Crash wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 03:27:36 -0700 (PDT), peterwn
    > <> wrote:

    > Which 'Rescue CD' are you talking about?.
    >>
    >>You do need some understanding of *NIX commands and of device naming
    >>conventions.

    Possibly....

    http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

    As Peter says you need a basic understanding of *nix commands.

    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 18, 2008
  4. In article
    <>, peterwn
    did write:

    > On Apr 17, 9:36 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Crash did write:
    >>
    >> > In addition to this I do not have a copy of Windows PRO - I have just
    >> > the rescue disks ... Can anyone point me in the direction
    >> > of any utility that will allow me to create a boot CD?

    >> I don't think there's any legal way to do what you ask.

    > Create an image of the C drive ...

    The Dimdows licence agreement doesn't allow you to make copies of your OS
    installation.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 18, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Lodi Guest

    >On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:27:36 +1200, Crash wrote:

    >>> Which 'Rescue CD' are you talking about?.

    >>Possibly....
    >>
    >>http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
    >>
    >>As Peter says you need a basic understanding of *nix commands.

    > Thanks - but I was assuming that booting to Windows would require a
    > Windows-only solution. This is what I am looking for.
    >
    > Crash.

    Hi Crash....As I see it there have been two replies that give you a
    possible solution, although both approach the problem from different
    angles.

    Brian M gave a Windows based solution, namely
    - Purchase Acronis True Image 11 for $99 at Pricespy then:
    - Insert a blank unformatted CD.
    - Launch Acronis True Image 11 Home/Tools
    - Create Bootable Rescue Media
    - Next -> Next -> Next ->
    - Select your burning CD/DVD-ROM
    - Next -> Proceed.

    Job done. You're $99 lighter but you've got a bootable rescue cd.

    Peter gave a Linux based solution but it will achieve the same result,
    namely returning your dead computer back to its last backup before it
    died. I must admit when you mentioned multiple partitions in your
    original post I thought of the System Rescue CD as well.

    - PartImage your C Partition (which has your operating system only) to a
    backup CD/DVD.
    - Install System Rescue to a USB thumb drive (as you don't have a floppy)
    - When needed for recovery, boot from the thumb drive, start PartImage
    and restore your C Partition (operating system) from the backup CD/DVD
    - Job done.

    The only real difference is $99. BUT (big BUT) as Peter mentioned you'll
    need some understanding of linux commands and of device naming
    conventions.

    Or you can just follow the System Rescue FAQ's.

    Or you can post in your friendly newsgroup asking for advice :)

    Apologies to Brian and/or Peter if I've mis-interpreted their replies.
    Nothing malicious intended.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 18, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Apr 18, 12:44 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > The Dimdows licence agreement doesn't allow you to make copies of your OS
    > installation.

    Probably, with a bit of luck it might be regarded as a 'permitted use'
    under the recently amended Copyright Act, I have not had time to
    check. In any case the image is useless for any other use except
    possibly on an identical computer or one very similarly configured.

    peterwn, Apr 18, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Apr 18, 4:39 pm, Lodi <> wrote:

    > - PartImage your C Partition (which has your operating system only) to a
    > backup CD/DVD.
    > - Install System Rescue to a USB thumb drive (as you don't have a floppy)

    System Rescue can be downloaded as a CD image (about 150M or so), but
    can be transferred to a USB thumb drive using instructions on their
    web site. It is far too big for a floppy.

    peterwn, Apr 18, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:fu8qt9$tj$...
    > In article
    > <>,
    > peterwn
    > did write:
    >
    >> On Apr 17, 9:36 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>, Crash did
    >>> write:

    >>> I don't think there's any legal way to do what you ask.

    >> Create an image of the C drive ...

    > The Dimdows licence agreement doesn't allow you to make copies of
    > your OS
    > installation.

    That old myth has been debunked by MS so many times I imagine they
    don't bother now.

    It's like saying that 'Linux is too hard to use for most people' -
    wrong but still repeated by the clueless.

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Apr 19, 2008
  9. In article <fub9si$qrr$>, Alan did write:

    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > message news:fu8qt9$tj$...
    >
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> peterwn did write:
    >>
    >>> Create an image of the C drive ...

    >> The Dimdows licence agreement doesn't allow you to make copies of
    >> your OS installation.

    > That old myth has been debunked by MS so many times I imagine they
    > don't bother now.

    Really? Where/when? Particularly since the Dimdows EULA also says "this
    constitutes the _entire_ agreement".

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 19, 2008