Re: Windows XP plus CPU change?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bob Strong, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. Bob Strong

    Bob Strong Guest

    > Here is an interesting article about product activation that I found
    > when tring to decide whether to upgrade to Win XP or not-

    My question is this...........Say I DON'T want to mess with the activation
    scheme, so I don't use XP. What would be a good alternative? Win2000? Win
    lite plus Opera? 98SE is doing the job, but not with everything.

    Winston.

    Bob Strong, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Bob Strong

    derek / nul Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 06:27:09 GMT, "Bob Strong" <> wrote:

    >> Here is an interesting article about product activation that I found
    >> when tring to decide whether to upgrade to Win XP or not-
    >>

    >My question is this...........Say I DON'T want to mess with the activation
    >scheme, so I don't use XP. What would be a good alternative? Win2000? Win
    >lite plus Opera? 98SE is doing the job, but not with everything.

    I have run win2000 since it came out, there is nothing in XP that I need.

    Derek

    derek / nul, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Bob Strong

    Thor Guest

    Win2k would be the closest alternative.

    Thor, Oct 17, 2003
  4. If you actually only use XP on one system (and follow the license agreement)
    it isn't too bad. I have reinstalled XP several times on my machine and it
    has never once complained about being reactivated and I never had to call
    Microsoft of anything. I am in no way supporting activation but unless you
    have a specific reason it would reject you then you don't really need to
    worry about it. Activation also only takes a few seconds after you install
    Windows. Keep in mind too that activation is not the same as registration.
    It says you now should activate then after activation it asks if you want to
    register at the same time. 98 Lite is better then 98 in terms of stability
    and speed (I would assume I have never used it) however, it would add not
    add new features over 98SE.

    If you buy a new PC activation would probably already be completed.
    --
    Andrew Watiker

    Visit My Website: http://andrewwatiker.alturl.com
    or
    http://andrewwatiker.homeip.net:81

    "All We Are Saying is Give Peace a Chance."
    - John Lennon

    Peace & Love.
    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > Win2k would be the closest alternative.
    >

    > ..
    > "Bob Strong" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > Here is an interesting article about product activation that I found
    > > > when tring to decide whether to upgrade to Win XP or not-
    > > >

    > > My question is this...........Say I DON'T want to mess with the

    activation
    > > scheme, so I don't use XP. What would be a good alternative? Win2000?

    Win
    > > lite plus Opera? 98SE is doing the job, but not with everything.
    > >
    > > Winston.

    ---

    Andrew Watiker, Oct 18, 2003