Re: Windows XP Home Edition with 256MB..enough RAM?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Patrick Michael, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've used it with 192 megs on a slow laptop (PIII 700Mhz). It runs ok;
    > it's not "fast", by any means, but the idea that you need 512 megs for
    > most applications (word, excel, web browsing, even some multimedia stuff)
    > is simply not correct. I recommend 512, and won't build a new system with
    > less than 256, but XP will run acceptably for most uses in even less than
    > 256.

    I don't think one person in this thread has said that 512MB is needed for
    most applications.

    Patrick Michael, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Patrick Michael

    Rudy Lopez Guest

    >I don't think one person in this thread has said that 512MB is needed for
    >most applications.

    I think that the most persuasive statement was that the extra $40- $50
    would be money well spent at purchase time.

    We decided to get the 512MB. She wants to load AIM, peer-to-peer
    software and some kind of DVD copier in the future.

    Rudy Lopez, Oct 12, 2004

  3. Patrick Michael

    GWB Guest

    > I don't think one person in this thread has said that 512MB is needed for
    > most applications

    XP requires at least 64MB but recommends 256MB my personal choice is at
    least 512MB

    GWB, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Patrick Michael

    Tony Guest

    Actually, 256MB is fine and 128MB is bare minimum.I've seen people load it with 64MB and it was
    painful to watch it crawl. I build these daily and 256 is adequate for most people. According to
    MS, here are the official minimum requirements:

    • PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum
    required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor
    recommended

    • 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance
    and some features)

    • 1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*

    • Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor

    • CD-ROM or DVD drive

    • Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

    Tony

    Tony, Oct 14, 2004