Re: windows xp desktop and start menu..gone!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by MF, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. MF

    MF Guest

    In W2000 there's a setting in group policy that prevents the desktop from
    appearing. Probably in XP as well. i'd tell you where it is, but those
    memory cells seem to lack charge. Run gpedit.msc and look for it. If you
    can't find it there, look for entries in the registry having to do with
    desktop.

    good luck!

    MF, Jul 2, 2005

  2. MF

    MF Guest

    Well, DOH! I looked. UserConfig\AdminTemplates\Desktop or\Startmenu And
    Taskbar.

    This has to be a long shot, because I can't see how SP 2 would turn any of
    these on, but a couple of those settings will provide your symptoms. Make
    sure everything is set to "Not Configured."

    MF, Jul 2, 2005

  3. MF

    MF Guest

    Strange indeed. Did you try installing SP2 again? If not, try it.

    Run regedit and look for "desktop". And search on "Hide". See if you can
    find anything that looks like it will turn off the desktop. If you do,
    export the key to back it up, then change the value data.

    So what do we know? That the file works under another name. So we can
    assume it's complete and not corrupt. You've said the permissions are okay,
    and that the path includes the directory it's in. Well, edit the path
    statement and put in a direct reference to it, and make sure that your
    pathext statement includes .exe files. (It probably does.) And, just to be
    sure on the permissions, give everyone full controll and give system full
    controll, if not already there.

    If all of that is okay or doesn't solve anything, run that rundll32 command
    (can't recall it) that registers executables - generally dlls but what the
    hell, give it a try. Have it register explorer.exe.

    btw, what if you log on as another user? and what users exist on the
    machine? you can run compmgmt.msc to bring up the computer management
    interface.

    And -
    there's this article regarding W98 that seems like it may apply to all
    versions of winwhenwill it work -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306599

    This relates explorer trying to run something that isn't there and getting
    too confused to continue, To check on this, look at all the places files can
    be started from.

    btw - any norton software on the machine? remove or disable it.

    Another link to look at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883791

    To cut this short, go to microsoft.com and search on "explorer.exe" with the
    quotes and look thru the results.

    Don't forget to post the answer when you find it :) .

    As the brits would say, frustrating, what?

    MF, Jul 3, 2005