Re: windows xp desktop and start menu..gone!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by mhaase-at-springmind.com, Jul 1, 2005.

  1. On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:49:59 -0700 , Drew <> wrote:

    >I think I'm running out of options. Just tried the in place over the
    >top repair. It went along fine with no error messages. However,
    >after it finished, the problem still persists.
    >
    >Weirdest thing I've ever seen!
    >
    >Anyone have anything else left to try? Or am I down to a wipe and
    >reload scenario?
    >
    >Drew

    Do you have an "EXPLORER.COM" file on your disk anywhere?

    As I recall, .COM files are executed before .EXE files, so if you
    have both EXPLORER.EXE and EXPLORER.COM files, EXPLORER.EXE will never
    get run.

    Do a search for "Explorer.*" and see what turns up.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Jul 1, 2005

  2. On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:34:10 -0700 , mhaase-at-springmind.com
    <mhaase-at-springmind.com@> wrote:

    >On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:49:59 -0700 , Drew <> wrote:
    >

    >>I think I'm running out of options. Just tried the in place over the
    >>top repair. It went along fine with no error messages. However,
    >>after it finished, the problem still persists.
    >>
    >>Weirdest thing I've ever seen!
    >>
    >>Anyone have anything else left to try? Or am I down to a wipe and
    >>reload scenario?
    >>
    >>Drew

    >Do you have an "EXPLORER.COM" file on your disk anywhere?
    >
    > As I recall, .COM files are executed before .EXE files, so if you
    >have both EXPLORER.EXE and EXPLORER.COM files, EXPLORER.EXE will never
    >get run.
    >
    >Do a search for "Explorer.*" and see what turns up.

    ..
    Good idea...what about explorer.bat as well?

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 2, 2005