Re: windows xp desktop and start menu..gone!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Kenneth Burger, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. I've seen this before. If you can run sfc /scannow it might restore the
    file properly, but if I recall correctly, last time this happened I had to
    run an over the top repair from the Windows XP CD, but I don't know how hot
    that'll work if you don't have a Windows XP SP2 CD available. Your best bet
    for now is to try the SFC. Why this problem occurs I don't know and it
    appears to be a problem with random PCs, but hopefully this will help. If
    not, you can try taking explorer.exe from another SP2 workstation and
    putting it in the appropriate directory using recovery console. Hope this
    helps!

    Kenneth Burger, Jun 29, 2005

  2. You definitely want to have the SP2 Cd in the drive when you do this. It
    may ask you for an earlier CD and you may have to capitulate to satisfy
    Windows, but I don't know what effect it will have. This is one of those
    try it and see situations. Worst case scenario: a Windows reinstall is
    necessary, but lets hope it doesn't come to that. You still have an sfc and
    an over-the-top repair to try first.

    Kenneth Burger, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Kenneth Burger

    Dark Raven Guest

    Out of curiousity have you run a virus or spyware scan on that PC? I
    wonder if something is trying to redirect that command somehow. Might
    want to try that. It is definitely weird that it works as another
    file name, but not as explorer.

    Dark Raven, Jun 29, 2005