Re: Windows XP and FDISK?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pete M, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Pete M

    Pete M Guest

    What version of FDISK?? i.e. what OS did it come with?

    "Rindler Sigurd" <-net.ne.jp> wrote in message
    > I want to reformat drive C on an 80GB HD with four partitions

    Are you clear on this:- C: will be one of these partitions only, not the
    whole HD.

    > I type format c: ENTER,

    So, do you have a FORMAT problem or an FDISK problem?

    > then I get the usual
    >
    > WARNING, ALL DATA WILL BE LOST.....
    > Proceed with Format (Y/N)?
    >
    > After typing Y(es), I can hear the drive A working for a few seconds and

    get

    > A:\>

    This is not normal FORMAT termination. It should prompt for a volume label
    and then say 'format complete, do another?

    > After typing C: ENTER
    >
    > I get C:\>
    >
    > When I type C:\>DIR
    >
    > the A(bort), R(estore), F(ail) message comes up...

    Maybe C: is really an NTFS partition and FORMAT gave up om it with no error
    message?

    If it boots XP OK, and you really do want to format a partition which isn't
    the boot partition and isn't the XP install partition, then just do it in
    XP. But your post and your problem are not clear, really.

    Cheers,

    Pete M

    Pete M, Jul 22, 2003

  2. "Pete M" <> wrote in message
    > What version of FDISK?? i.e. what OS did it come with?

    It was the one which came with Windows 98. I don't know how to check the
    version of FDISK (I guess it is the last version of DOS).
    Anyway, FORMAT also came with Windows 98.

    Sigi Rindler

    Rindler Sigurd, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Pete M

    Pete M Guest

    > It was the one which came with Windows 98.

    OK, that version does understand FAT32.

    But...you didn't use FDISK so why is it an issue?

    PM

    Pete M, Jul 22, 2003