Re: windows won't shut down

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    > Does anyone have a good way to trace down what process might be keeping
    > windows from shutting down? ...etc...

    Kevin,

    My guess is that you are new to this. Please be forewarned, there are many
    people, already warmed up to this forum, who will goof on you a bit. Caveat
    emptor.

    My analysis, based upon your rather scant (what type of computer? which
    operating system? how much RAM? were there any recent changes, etc., etc.)
    introduction, is, that it could be anything.

    In the best-case-scenario, it could be a matter of wiping out some spyware.
    In the worst-case-scenario, you're probably off getting a new computer,
    rather than fixing this one.

    Is your data (documents, spreadsheets, tax info, music, pictures, etc.)
    backed up, onto another media? This is key.

    Please provide more info. You may receive some help, here. But not until
    more detail is provided.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Feb 25, 2008

  2. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    Try msconfig and choose the Diagnostic Startup and see if that helps.
    Then check each startup item one by one after each successful startup
    and shutdown and see which startup program is causing the problem.
    If everything checks out OK, then it could be something you are
    running during the course of using the PC.
    In this case, you will need to weigh your options. Is a complete
    reload less time consuming then going through the process of finding
    out what the cause is. If however, you want this to be a learning
    experience, then diagnosing the problem is the best choice.

    Mister, Feb 25, 2008

  3. With tongue-in-cheek he said "You may want to upgrade your RAM from 1.5
    Megs".

    in Technicolor®, Feb 25, 2008
  4. smackedass

    John O Guest

    I have no good ideas, but what about running a registry cleaner? I hear both
    good and bad, but a modest one should prune away some junk, and my guess is
    that your system has a pretty big registry.

    Also, maybe try Alt-Tab before shutting down. I've had apps hiding in the
    shadows.

    Finally, open task manager and start killing processes. Maybe you'll get
    lucky and find one that's preventing shutdown.

    What does Spybot say about BHOs?

    Are there any BIOS updates for that machine? I think it (I have the same
    machine) is at A16, IIRC.

    -John O

    John O, Feb 25, 2008