Re: Windows Vista Suspend mode

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ~BD~, Jul 4, 2010.

  1. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been given an Advent 6551 laptop to look at as it appears to be
    > sending no video to the screen. I suspect that it has been in suspend
    > mode as I am getting a "Resuming Windows" message. On that note the
    > screen blanks and ceases video output.
    >
    > Is there a fix? I am not too familiar with the keyboard function keys
    > and I think that is where the problem lies.
    >

    > MTIA

    What happens if you press and hold down the 'Power Off' button for, say
    10 seconds - and then press again to start the machine?

    Dave

    ~BD~, Jul 4, 2010

  2. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > On 04/07/2010 18:31, ~BD~ wrote:
    >>
    >> "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have been given an Advent 6551 laptop to look at as it appears to
    >>> be
    >>> sending no video to the screen. I suspect that it has been in
    >>> suspend
    >>> mode as I am getting a "Resuming Windows" message. On that note the
    >>> screen blanks and ceases video output.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a fix? I am not too familiar with the keyboard function
    >>> keys
    >>> and I think that is where the problem lies.
    >>>

    >>> MTIA

    >> What happens if you press and hold down the 'Power Off' button for,
    >> say
    >> 10 seconds - and then press again to start the machine?
    >>
    >> Dave

    > The machine re-starts and I get the abnormal shut down screen. On
    > starting Windows normally, I get a blank screen with the mouse
    > pointer. This brightens and then zilch.

    Are you able to start in 'safe mode' by constantly tapping the F8 key
    during start-up?

    ~BD~, Jul 4, 2010

  3. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > On 04/07/2010 18:46, ~BD~ wrote:
    >>
    >> "John Smith" <> wrote in message

    >>> The machine re-starts and I get the abnormal shut down screen. On
    >>> starting Windows normally, I get a blank screen with the mouse
    >>> pointer. This brightens and then zilch.

    >> Are you able to start in 'safe mode' by constantly tapping the F8 key
    >> during start-up?

    > I can't get safe mode upi during start up, the F8 key is ignored.
    > However, I can invoke safe mode from the abnormal shut down screen.
    > While the drivers etc load, the screen is still blank. I am beginning
    > to suspect a video driver fault.

    Ah! Sorry I can't really help further - I'm just a user, not a guru!

    A very basic point though - have you used the 'function' keys to try and
    increase the screen brightness? My Acer has a 'blue' 'Fn' key - and
    other keys with blue symbols to adjust brightness and volume.

    Just my final thought! Good luck!

    Dave

    ~BD~, Jul 4, 2010
  4. "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > On 04/07/2010 19:24, ~BD~ wrote:
    >>
    >> "John Smith" <> wrote in message

    >>> I can't get safe mode upi during start up, the F8 key is ignored.
    >>> However, I can invoke safe mode from the abnormal shut down screen.
    >>> While the drivers etc load, the screen is still blank. I am beginning
    >>> to suspect a video driver fault.

    >> Ah! Sorry I can't really help further - I'm just a user, not a guru!
    >>
    >> A very basic point though - have you used the 'function' keys to try and
    >> increase the screen brightness? My Acer has a 'blue' 'Fn' key - and
    >> other keys with blue symbols to adjust brightness and volume.
    >>
    >> Just my final thought! Good luck!
    >>
    >> Dave

    > Tried all the above. Thanks anyway. Luck? I'll need it :)

    try attaching a separate monitor?

    Geoff Pearson, Jul 6, 2010