Re: Windows secuity hole

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, May 19, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 19 May 2009 07:30:25 -0400, David Sherman
    <> wrote:

    >I tried to retrofit a "windows XP" machine into a Windows Vista
    >machine for the past 2 days. My problems including no sound and no
    >modem and a machine that wouldn't boot with a new sound card or an
    >external USB device attached to it.
    >
    >I can live with the failure of retrofitting.
    >
    >But I can't live with the following:
    >
    >For some reason , known only to Microsoft and / or Symantec, both
    >"vista machines" want to share my music library. The problem is that I
    >don't have any shares on either machine.
    >
    >The problem also exists when I restored the Windows XP machine.
    >
    >I noticed this behavior when I was sitting in a airport waiting for a
    >plane. Airport was in a wireless network. Yesterday was wired.
    >
    >I wonder what will happen in Windows 7.
    >
    >Why does "Vista" automatically search for media libraries to share?
    >Does this behavior happen when 2 XP machines are side by side?
    >
    >I have NIS 2009 installed on both machines with the installed default
    >behavior on both machines?
    >
    >Again who is too blame? How do I fix this? (I know, use Linux)
    >
    >thanks

    BTW, your issues with the sound and modem are as old as windows.
    To restore them, you need the drivers which you get from the maker of
    the cards. What I usually do is get a current copy of the driver then
    store them in a folder on another partition.

    You may also need to need flash the BIOS. I had to do that with an
    Acer once.

    Never try to install two versions of windows on the same drive. Use a
    second partition and dual boot. Or wipe out the original entirely and
    start from scratch.

    richard, May 19, 2009