    So those trying to claim that the bundled copy of Windows is no different
    from any other bundled product component are wrong: it IS fundamentally
    different.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 10, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Sep 10, 10:37 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Regarding the discussion a while back about whether you should be able to
    > refuse the copy of Microsoft Windows that comes bundled with a PC, I just
    > had something pointed out to me: the manufacturer's warranty will cover
    > every bit of hardware you get in the box with that PC, but it won't cover
    > Microsoft Windows.
    >
    > So those trying to claim that the bundled copy of Windows is no different
    > from any other bundled product component are wrong: it IS fundamentally
    > different.

    The retailer is obliged to cover everything supplied if the computer
    is sold for 'consumer' (ie not business) puropses. This theoretically
    could cover user data transfer etc but the monetary value of
    'consumer' type data may not be too high. Retailer could argue that
    it needs only return the computer (repaired or replaced) in the state
    that it was first sold and might prevail with that argument.

    peterwn, Sep 10, 2009

  3. In message <0ca0361f-d9e8-4bd7-8317-
    >, peterwn wrote:

    > On Sep 10, 10:37 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >> ... the manufacturer's warranty will cover
    >> every bit of hardware you get in the box with that PC, but it won't cover
    >> Microsoft Windows.

    > The retailer is obliged to cover everything supplied if the computer
    > is sold for 'consumer' (ie not business) puropses. This theoretically
    > could cover user data transfer etc but the monetary value of
    > 'consumer' type data may not be too high. Retailer could argue that
    > it needs only return the computer (repaired or replaced) in the state
    > that it was first sold and might prevail with that argument.

    But if the software was the problem, and they still supply the exact same
    software, then they haven't fixed the problem, have they?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 10, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Sep 11, 9:15 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <0ca0361f-d9e8-4bd7-8317-
    >
    > >, peterwn wrote:
    > > On Sep 10, 10:37 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > >> ... the manufacturer's warranty will cover
    > >> every bit of hardware you get in the box with that PC, but it won't cover
    > >> Microsoft Windows.

    > > The retailer is obliged to cover everything supplied if the computer
    > > is sold for 'consumer' (ie not business) puropses.  This theoretically
    > > could cover user data transfer etc but the monetary value of
    > > 'consumer' type data may not be too high.  Retailer could argue that
    > > it needs only return the computer (repaired or replaced) in the state
    > > that it was first sold and might prevail with that argument.

    > But if the software was the problem, and they still supply the exact same
    > software, then they haven't fixed the problem, have they?

    Agreed and there ought to be a refund. This would be an easy matter
    if there were a BSOD each five minutes, but the more subtle the bug,
    the more subtle the matter would become.

    peterwn, Sep 11, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Sep 11, 1:11 pm, peterwn <> wrote:

    > Agreed and there ought to be a refund.  This would be an easy matter
    > if there were a BSOD each five minutes, but the more subtle the bug,
    > the more subtle the matter would become.

    I had better hedge this a bit more. If you buy the computer, Windows,
    Office and anti-Virus as a job lot from the retailer, you have a
    reasonable consumer expectation that the whole lot will work in
    harmony, and if it does not you would expect remedial action. I would
    have to concede that as soon as you add software from elsewhere, you
    are going to have a tough job proving that Windows was faulty rather
    than the additional software.

    peterwn, Sep 11, 2009