Re: Windows protection at startup

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Nov 20, 2011.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    d, Crash McBash says...

    > I am just wondering how Windows Update and AV protection updates work
    > relative to Windows starting up with user logon required. I am
    > running Windows XP SP3.
    >
    > When the PC powers up it gets to the user logon screen. If I have
    > Windows Update automatic updating enabled is this active and working
    > at this point? Is AV/firewall protection up and running and able to
    > update?
    >
    > Just curious because with the PC in this state its file system is up
    > and running and accessible from other PCs on my home network.

    Yes, from SP2 on.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Nov 20, 2011

  2. Dave Doe

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>,
    d, Crash McBash says...

    > I am just wondering how Windows Update and AV protection updates work
    > relative to Windows starting up with user logon required. I am
    > running Windows XP SP3.
    >
    > When the PC powers up it gets to the user logon screen. If I have
    > Windows Update automatic updating enabled is this active and working
    > at this point? Is AV/firewall protection up and running and able to
    > update?
    >
    > Just curious because with the PC in this state its file system is up
    > and running and accessible from other PCs on my home network.

    If you REALLY want to protect windows from malware, don't start it up at
    all. ;-)
    Your Name, Nov 20, 2011

  3. Dave Doe

    John Little Guest

    Your Name wrote:

    > If you REALLY want to protect windows from malware, don't start it up at
    > all. ;-)

    C'mon, you can start it, just don't connect to anything or insert any
    media... ;)
    John Little, Nov 20, 2011
  4. Dave Doe

    Your Name Guest

    In article <jaajcq$dt2$>, John Little
    <> wrote:
    > Your Name wrote:
    > >
    > > If you REALLY want to protect windows from malware, don't start it up at
    > > all. ;-)

    > C'mon, you can start it, just don't connect to anything or insert any
    > media... ;)

    But if you start it up, then you're already running the biggest and worst
    malware for Windows ... Microsoft Windows itself. ;-)
    Your Name, Nov 20, 2011
  5. On Nov 20, 2:07 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > , Crash McBash says...
    >

    > > I am just wondering how Windows Update and AV protection updates work
    > > relative to Windows starting up with user logon required.  I am
    > > running Windows XP SP3.

    > > When the PC powers up it gets to the user logon screen.  If I have
    > > Windows Update automatic updating enabled is this active and working
    > > at this point?  Is AV/firewall protection up and running and able to
    > > update?

    > > Just curious because with the PC in this state its file system is up
    > > and running and accessible from other PCs on my home network.

    > Yes, from SP2 on.

    and assuming you are running the default Windows Firewall, if you're
    using a 3rd party firewall you should check with that vendor what the
    protection status is of their firewall while Windows is starting

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Nov 28, 2011