Re: Windows Messaging Popups

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service uses
    ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q330904

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q302089

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:20:55 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bhov46$al6$>
    Marc Townson scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 17, 2003

  2. °Mike°

    Marc Townson Guest

    THANX MIKE - i had the msblaster virus :( so i formated the hdd but it was
    still there so i download the patch from microsoft and downloaded avg and
    ran that and then did what it said on the page. any other help would be
    apprechiated :)
    Marc age 14

    Marc Townson, Aug 17, 2003

  3. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Boot into Safe Mode and start your registry editor:
    Start / Run / regedit

    Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    +Software
    +Microsoft
    +Windows
    +CurrentVersion
    +Run

    In the right-hand pane, look for an entry that refers to MSBLAST.EXE
    and DELETE it.

    Open Windows Explorer to the ..\Windows\System32\ or
    ...\WinNT\System32\ folder and DELTETE the file MSBLAST.EXE

    Next, go to the ..\Windows\Prefetch\ or ..\WinNT\Prefetch\
    folder and find the reference to the MSBLAST file (it will be similar
    to: MSBLAST.EXE-<alphanumerics>.PF), and DELETE it.

    Now you can configure your firewall and update your virus scanner.

    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

    What you should know about the Blaster worm

    Windows RPC DCOM Buffer Overflow Remote Exploit (MS03-026)
    http://www.k-otik.com/exploits/07.25.winrpcdcom.c.php

    How to Use The KB 823980 Scanning Tool to Identify Host Computers
    That Do Not Have The 823980 Security Patch (MS03-026) Installed
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;826369

    W32.Blaster.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

    W32.Blaster.B.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.b.worm.html

    W32.Blaster.C.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.c.worm.html

    W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:31:29 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bhovo1$c03$>
    Marc Townson scrawled:

    °Mike°, Aug 18, 2003