    run it without windows server 2003?

    I need Media Services 9 Series for fast streaming.

    Thanks.

    Minifie, May 9, 2005

  2. Minifie

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Minifie" wrote in message news:eXJfe.7867$

    > Windows Media Services 9 Series - The media you are connecting
    > to must be hosted on a server running Windows Media Services 9 Series,
    > a part of Windows Server 2003 operating system.
    >
    > How can I run Media Services 9 Series with XP windows. is it impossible
    > to run it without windows server 2003?

    It looks like it's a purely Windows Server option...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/server/version.aspx

    > I need Media Services 9 Series for fast streaming.

    Don't take offence, but if you need to be hosting fast streaming sound /
    movies then a workstation just isn't up to the task. For a start, a
    workstation's unlikely to have anywhere near enough processing grunt to cope
    with the task compared to a 2-way or 4-way Xeon server. If you have a need
    for streaming, presumably this will be to multiple clients. If that's the
    case, you might want to peruse your WinXP End User License Agreement
    (EULA)...

    Start

    Run

    %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\EULA.TXT

    <quote>

    You may permit a maximum of ten (10) ("Connection Maximum") computers or
    other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the COMPUTER to
    utilize one or more of the following services of the SOFTWARE: File
    services, Print services, Internet Information services, and remote access
    (including connection sharing and telephony services). The ten (10)
    Connection Maximum includes any indirect connections made through
    "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates
    connections. Except as otherwise permitted herein, you may not use the
    Device to use, access, display or run the SOFTWARE, the SOFTWARE's User
    Interface or other executable software residing on the COMPUTER. This ten
    connection maximum does not apply to any other uses of the Product.

    </quote>

    So, even if a Windows XP workstation could cope with the workload you'd only
    be allowed to stream to 10 clients concurrently. Windows Servers (depending
    on versions and client CALs purchased) support many more concurrents.

    Dave Lear, May 9, 2005