Re: Windows Media Player won't play

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    You have probably the most stable version of WMP. You are
    probably missing vital codecs.
    http://www.fourcc.org/indexcod.htm

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:27:24 -0500, in
    <bi0m20$3u06j$-berlin.de>
    Jim scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 20, 2003

  2. °Mike°

    Jim Guest

    Hey Mike, I'm knew to the codec game. How will I know what I need where
    I need it? IOW, what codecs will I need to download to allow WMP to
    play these files? I checked the link and there are TONS on there to
    choose from. Thanks

    Jim

    Jim, Aug 20, 2003

  3. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    If you right click on the media file, and select 'Properties', it
    should tell you the encoding method. As a first step, I would
    download the DivX pack from:
    http://www.divxmovies.com/codec/

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:06:30 -0500, in
    <bi0ob9$433f5$-berlin.de>
    Jim scrawled:

    °Mike°, Aug 20, 2003
  4. °Mike°

    Jim Guest

    Hmm. Looks like the files are .wmv in fact. One of them will not play
    and two play for just a second and then loop and play again for a second
    and on and on. Bad download? Or is my media player corrupted?

    Jim, Aug 20, 2003
  5. °Mike°

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Jim continued:

    > Hmm. Looks like the files are .wmv in fact. One of them will not
    > play and two play for just a second and then loop and play again for
    > a second and on and on. Bad download? Or is my media player
    > corrupted?

    If others play, I would certainly go for the 'fucked file' choice.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Aug 21, 2003
  6. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    I would say that sounds like corrupt files. Try to download them
    again, BUT from a different source, if possible.

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:25:28 -0500, in
    <bi0sv3$43eep$-berlin.de>
    Jim scrawled:

    °Mike°, Aug 21, 2003
  7. °Mike°

    gangle Guest

    Try installing the WM9 codecs -- recently made available for
    install for player 6.4. (2nd main heading on the page.)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/codecdownload.aspx

    "Jim" wrote

    gangle, Aug 21, 2003