Re: windows media player opens video links

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Michael, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    In <news:>,
    nowhere man said:

    > When you click on a link that shows something like name.com/file.avi
    > WMP opens up and tries to connect.
    > But when downloading is completed, up pops the error that says WMP
    > can't play the file.
    > How do you change the settings so you get divx player to view the
    > file as it should?
    >
    > IE6/wmp7 windows me.
    >
    > thanks.

    Either re-associate .avi files so they play in DivX's player, (right click a
    ..avi file in Explorer, click "open with", and select or browse for the DivX
    player, and make sure you check the box before clicking "OK")...

    ....or upgrade your WMP so it can use your DivX codecs. WMP9 has no trouble
    with them at all, and IIRC, neither did WMP8.

    ((U))

    Michael, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Michael

    nowhere man Guest

    Michael wrote:>>

    > In <news:>,
    > nowhere man said:

    >> When you click on a link that shows something like name.com/file.avi
    >> WMP opens up and tries to connect.
    >> But when downloading is completed, up pops the error that says WMP
    >> can't play the file.
    >> How do you change the settings so you get divx player to view the
    >> file as it should?
    >>
    >> IE6/wmp7 windows me.
    >>
    >> thanks.

    > Either re-associate .avi files so they play in DivX's player, (right
    > click a .avi file in Explorer, click "open with", and select or browse
    > for the DivX player, and make sure you check the box before clicking
    > "OK")...

    This is not the problem. It is the fact that when you click on a link
    embedded in a news message that WMP pops up by default. As far as I can tell
    you have no other choice.

    nowhere man, Aug 2, 2003