Re: Windows Media Player 11

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nicolaas Hawkins, Apr 2, 2009.

  1. On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:13:34 +1200, Alan Keatinge <>
    wrote in <news:>:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone please help me with Media Player 11.
    > When I play a DVD the controls below the screen, Brightness, Contrast,
    > Saturation and Hue have no effect. I was using Media 9 and asked for
    > help and someone suggest that I update to version 11.
    >
    > I have done this with the same result. Is there some plug in or extra
    > program I have to install. I had to install AC3 filter to get sound.
    >
    > Cyberlink Power DVD works perfectly, so why can't Windows Media 11
    > work the same?
    >
    > Hoping someone can come up with the answer.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Alan Keatinge

    I am using version 9.0.0.4503 which does the same thing - but on some files
    only without, seemingly, any predictability, rhyme, reason or purpose.

    Annoying!

    I see little point in 'upgrading' just to have a later version that does
    exactly the same thing.

    If you find an answer or solution to this problem, I should be very happy to
    hear it.

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Apr 2, 2009

  2. Nicolaas Hawkins

    Richard Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    > I am using version 9.0.0.4503 which does the same thing - but on some files
    > only without, seemingly, any predictability, rhyme, reason or purpose.
    >
    > Annoying!
    >
    > I see little point in 'upgrading' just to have a later version that does
    > exactly the same thing.
    >
    > If you find an answer or solution to this problem, I should be very happy to
    > hear it.

    It will depend on the codec in use, if the codec is using hardware
    acceleration then you will have to change that stuff via the display
    control panel since media player never gets a look into the video data
    to manipulate it.

    Also you really dont want to be adjusting brightness and contrast on the
    PC since the in and the out are both only 8 bit so massive banding will
    result. Better to set your display correctly so that the PC controls can
    be left having no effect on the video signal. Displays are normally
    doing it with a lot more precision then software can output it with.
    Sure, you can dither the resulting scaled video back into 8 bit to get
    it looking a lot better but still, best left to the display.
    Richard, Apr 3, 2009