Re: windows meda --> quicktime or mpg or avi

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:40:50 +1200, "Daniel Farley"
    <> wrote:

    >a friend of mine needs to converet a windows meda file into eather quicktime
    >or mpg or avi.
    >
    >Any sudgestions?
    >
    >Daniel

    I have seen STOIK Video Converter (free) suggested:
    http://www.stoik.com/downloads/downloads_frm.htm

    Haven't tried it myself.
    GraB, Jul 31, 2003

  2. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:00:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:40:50 +1200, "Daniel Farley"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>a friend of mine needs to converet a windows meda file into eather quicktime
    >>or mpg or avi.
    >>
    >>Any sudgestions?
    >>
    >>Daniel
    >>

    >I have seen STOIK Video Converter (free) suggested:
    >http://www.stoik.com/downloads/downloads_frm.htm
    >
    >Haven't tried it myself.

    Tried it now. File wouldn't play right through, though Stoik
    recommend MP7.1 or better - I have MP6.4. I hate wmv! You can't tell
    what version of wmv it was made with. I have had wmv9 files that I
    can't play on MP6.4, but I can play wmv8. You have to have MP9
    installed on 98SE to be able to install the wmv9 codec and I am
    definitely not going there.

    I suspect there are other converters but I wouldn't be surprised if
    there were still problems with converting wmv9 files.
    GraB, Jul 31, 2003

  3. GraB allegedly said:

    > Tried it now. File wouldn't play right through, though Stoik
    > recommend MP7.1 or better - I have MP6.4. I hate wmv! You can't tell
    > what version of wmv it was made with. I have had wmv9 files that I
    > can't play on MP6.4, but I can play wmv8. You have to have MP9
    > installed on 98SE to be able to install the wmv9 codec and I am
    > definitely not going there.

    I agree.

    I avoid video formats where one vendor controls it and uses it to move/push
    you along their marketing path.

    You either accept all this or you can never upgrade - or even patch - your
    Windows system software ever again.

    Fark that. It feels like extortion / coercion.

    Linux is freedom.....
    Herman Melville, Aug 2, 2003