Re: Windows keeps shutting itself down

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by William Poaster, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:48:58
    +0100, Moody Marco uttered this:

    >Seemingly at random as I'm doing something at the PC, I'll get a little
    >dialog saying "The system is shutting down, please save all work in progress
    >and log off. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM". It gives
    >a countdown timer till shutdown (1 minute I think) and the message:
    >
    >"Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service
    >terminated unexpectedly"
    >
    >This is happening about twice a day.
    >
    >This morning it happened within 30 secs of Windows booting and me logging on
    >when I turned the PC on.
    >
    >Screesnshot here:
    >
    >http://www.markmcrobie.btinternet.co.uk/Image1.gif
    >
    >Normally when it happens it's just the above dialog that pops up out of the
    >blue, but I did notice that once (yesterday) it happened directly after I
    >got a "The following program has stopped responding" error for a program
    >called(roughly) "General Win32 something"
    >
    >Many thanks in advance
    >
    >Windows XP Home SP1
    >Pentium 4 2.2Ghz
    >256MB DDR RAM
    >GeForce 4 MX 440 64MB graphics card

    It *sounds* like you may have this:-
    RPC DCOM WORM (MSBLASTER)
    http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11

    Here's how to get rid of it:

    1 - First find and kill the process with Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc).
    2 - Then Start->Run... "regedit" and search for "msblast". Should get you to
    here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    3 - You should see a "windows auto update" key as mentioned in the above
    link,
    delete the key.
    4 -Finally, search for "msblast.exe" on your system drive and delete it.
    5 -Reboot.

    ALSO:-
    You should download these two patches from Microsoft to stop the virus
    from just installing itself again. It does not come through email but is
    infected directly into Windows XP from the internet zone.
    http://tinyurl.com/ii6n
    http://tinyurl.com/jp6f

    HTH.

    --