Re: Windows Defender

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by 1PW, Jul 7, 2009.

  1. 1PW

    1PW Guest

    sugaree wrote:
    > Am using Win XP SP 2 with IE 6.0. Am using
    > Malwarebytes, Ad Aware, CCleaner, AVG. Just
    > realized that Window Defender has been running in
    > background. Any opinions on the value of running
    > Defender? Tx

    It won't hurt to let it run. You could do better than Ad Aware these
    days. Update to SP3 & at least IE7. Get Secunia PSI and
    FileHippo.com's Update Checker & see what else you need updated.

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
    1PW, Jul 7, 2009

  2. 1PW

    thanatoid Guest

    1PW <> wrote in

    > sugaree wrote:
    >> Am using Win XP SP 2 with IE 6.0.

    Using the most insecure browser is always a good start. Sigh.
    Opera too complicated for you?

    >> Am using
    >> Malwarebytes, Ad Aware, CCleaner, AVG.

    Sure that's enough? Running them all 100% of the time, too, I
    hope?

    >> Just
    >> realized that Window Defender has been running in
    >> background. Any opinions on the value of running
    >> Defender? Tx

    I have personally only heard one thing about it. A friend who
    runs Win XP 64-bit installed it and then had to take the machine
    to a shop since it refused to boot. But he's a bit of a moron so
    it may not be entirely WD's fault. Still, Microsoft and security
    are not exactly synonyms.

    > It won't hurt to let it run. You could do better than Ad
    > Aware these days. Update to SP3 & at least IE7. Get
    > Secunia PSI and FileHippo.com's Update Checker & see what
    > else you need updated.

    AdAware has sucked for years now.

    But Windows updates mostly fix/update the spyware parts of IE/OE
    and Windows OS's in general that have been discovered and
    exposed by hackers (/and/ got enough publicity to FORCE MS to
    fix them - some things don't get fixed for months or years - I
    wonder why?) - while adding new stuff in the meantime.

    And no update makes up for the ideal combination of a lousy OS
    and user stupidity.

    [Not meant personally - it's just that it has crossed my mind
    more than once that only when MS stops fucking around with an OS
    and officially drops it, /then/ it may finally be relatively
    bug-free and safe to use - after taking the appropriate
    measures, of which running 4-10 "security" programs /all the
    time/ I do not consider a reasonable part of.]

    --
    Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
    are suitable, but will Pam secure that?
    thanatoid, Jul 7, 2009