Re: Windows activation after M/B replacement

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2010.

  1. In message <4cab23e5$0$11099$>, qmod wrote:

    > Is it me (done something wrong) or has Microsoft changed things when
    > doing a repair installation after replacing the motherboard/cpu
    > combination

    Technically, it’s not the same PC any more. When you get a PC with OEM
    Windows preinstalled, the licence is only valid for that PC, you can’t
    transfer it to another one.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    PeeCee Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" wrote in message news:i8tvev$28g$...

    In message <4cab23e5$0$11099$>, qmod wrote:

    > Is it me (done something wrong) or has Microsoft changed things when
    > doing a repair installation after replacing the motherboard/cpu
    > combination

    Technically, it’s not the same PC any more. When you get a PC with OEM
    Windows preinstalled, the licence is only valid for that PC, you can’t
    transfer it to another one.

    Technically correct from what I can see, but this site:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

    suggests there may still be a legitimate interpretation allowing a M/B
    change for 'some' machines:

    <quote>
    Quoted from MS System Builders
    "If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to
    acquire a new operating system license for the PC. The replacement
    motherboard must be the same make/model or the same manufacturer’s
    replacement/equivalent."
    A system builder it seems would determine what constitutes as a qualifying
    motherboard"
    </quote>

    i.e. If an OEM supplies a M/B that goes (say) 'unavailable' when the M/B
    fails then it would seem entirely reasonable to supply something equivalent
    and for the OEM to certify it as complying.
    If this means crossing a Brand / CPU / Motherboard / Architecture generation
    boundary then I don't see any problem if the new MB does the 'Equivalent'
    job.

    Besides that I haven't seen anywhere that the Motherboard the COA is tied to
    has to be working, maybe one could just screw it to the inside of the case,
    or even shred it and leave it in a plastic bag inside.
    :)
    :)
    :)

    FWIW

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 11, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rod Speed Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
    > qmod wrote

    >> Is it me (done something wrong) or has Microsoft changed things when
    >> doing a repair installation after replacing the motherboard/cpu combination

    > Technically, it's not the same PC any more.

    Wrong when its just the motherboard that is changed.

    > When you get a PC with OEM Windows preinstalled,

    Irrelevant to the situation where that isnt the case.

    > the licence is only valid for that PC,

    There is no 'licence' whatever MS claims.

    You bought a product at retail and whatever MS claims, you are
    legally entitled to have that continue to work even if the motherboard
    does need to be changed when it fails or you upgrade it etc.

    > you can't transfer it to another one.

    Wrong. MS doesnt get to write consumer law in this country.

    As the purported 'licence agreement' says very explicitly.
    Rod Speed, Oct 11, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rod Speed Guest

    PeeCee wrote
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
    >> qmod wrote

    >>> Is it me (done something wrong) or has Microsoft changed things when
    >>> doing a repair installation after replacing the motherboard/cpu combination

    >> Technically, it's not the same PC any more. When you get a PC with OEM
    >> Windows preinstalled, the licence is only valid for that PC, you can't
    >> transfer it to another one.

    > Technically correct from what I can see,

    Nope, not in this country.

    > but this site:
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

    > suggests there may still be a legitimate interpretation allowing a M/B change for 'some' machines:

    Legally its true of all machines in this country.

    > <quote>
    > Quoted from MS System Builders
    > "If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for
    > the PC.

    Correct.

    > The replacement motherboard must be the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent."

    Wrong in this country legally.

    > A system builder it seems would determine what constitutes as a qualifying motherboard"

    Nope, the law does in this country.

    > </quote>

    > i.e. If an OEM supplies a M/B that goes (say) 'unavailable' when the
    > M/B fails then it would seem entirely reasonable to supply something
    > equivalent and for the OEM to certify it as complying.

    And the law in this country doesnt require anything like that.

    > If this means crossing a Brand / CPU / Motherboard / Architecture
    > generation boundary then I don't see any problem if the new MB does
    > the 'Equivalent' job.

    Doesnt need to do an equivalent job by law in this country.

    ALL it needs to do is work.

    > Besides that I haven't seen anywhere that the Motherboard the COA is
    > tied to has to be working, maybe one could just screw it to the
    > inside of the case, or even shred it and leave it in a plastic bag
    > inside. :)
    > :)
    > :)

    Dont need to do anything like that legally.
    Rod Speed, Oct 11, 2010
  5. In message <>, Rod Speed wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
    >
    >> qmod wrote

    >>> Is it me (done something wrong) or has Microsoft changed things when
    >>> doing a repair installation after replacing the motherboard/cpu
    >>> combination

    >> Technically, it's not the same PC any more.

    > Wrong when its just the motherboard that is changed.

    But the motherboard is the essence of the PC.

    >> When you get a PC with OEM Windows preinstalled,
    >> the licence is only valid for that PC,

    > There is no 'licence' whatever MS claims.

    If there is no “licenceâ€, then you have no permission to use the software,
    since the licence is the only thing that grants that.

    > You bought a product at retail and whatever MS claims, you are
    > legally entitled to have that continue to work even if the motherboard
    > does need to be changed when it fails or you upgrade it etc.

    But the only thing that legally entitles you to that is the licence. If that
    is invalid, then you have no entitlement.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2010
  6. In message <i8uf6n$usq$>, PeeCee wrote:

    > Besides that I haven't seen anywhere that the Motherboard the COA is tied
    > to has to be working ...

    Well, there is the fact that Windows itself is checking for it.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    atec77 Guest

    > In message<i8uf6n$usq$>, PeeCee wrote:
    >
    >> Besides that I haven't seen anywhere that the Motherboard the COA is tied
    >> to has to be working ...

    > Well, there is the fact that Windows itself is checking for it.

    taking only seconds to stop
    are you in the employ or an agent of Microsoft ?

  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rod Speed Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
    >>> qmod wrote

    >>> Technically, it's not the same PC any more.

    >> Wrong when its just the motherboard that is changed.

    > But the motherboard is the essence of the PC.

    Wrong, the cpu is if anything is.

    >>> When you get a PC with OEM Windows preinstalled,
    >>> the licence is only valid for that PC,

    >> There is no 'licence' whatever MS claims.

    > If there is no "licence", then you have no permission to use the
    > software, since the licence is the only thing that grants that.

    Wrong again, the law is what grants that when you buy the PC.

    >> You bought a product at retail and whatever MS claims, you are
    >> legally entitled to have that continue to work even if the motherboard
    >> does need to be changed when it fails or you upgrade it etc.

    > But the only thing that legally entitles you to that is the licence.

    Wrong, as always. Its the sale that allows you to use the OS.

    > If that is invalid, then you have no entitlement.

    Wrong, as always. Under Australian and NZ law, its the retail
    sale that legally allows you to use that OS and the hardware.

    And that is precisely what the purported 'licence' actually says
    too, it clearly says that the law overrides whats in the purported
    'licence' which the buyer of the PC never signed up to anyway.
    Rod Speed, Oct 11, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rod Speed Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
    > PeeCee wrote

    >> Besides that I haven't seen anywhere that the
    >> Motherboard the COA is tied to has to be working ...

    > Well, there is the fact that Windows itself is checking for it.

    No it doesnt in the sense that it checks a serial number etc.
    Rod Speed, Oct 11, 2010
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Oct 11, 10:30 pm, "Rod Speed" <> wrote:
    > PeeCee wrote
    >
    > > Lawrence D'Oliveiro  wrote
    > >> qmod wrote
    > >> Technically, it's not the same PC any more. When you get a PC with OEM
    > >> Windows preinstalled, the licence is only valid for that PC, you can't
    > >> transfer it to another one.

    > > Technically correct from what I can see,

    > Nope, not in this country.

    Which country are you referring to mate? I thought you were in Oz.
    peterwn, Oct 11, 2010
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Oct 11, 4:14 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <4cab23e5$0$11099$>, qmod wrote:
    >
    > > Is it me (done something wrong) or has Microsoft changed things when
    > > doing a repair installation after replacing the motherboard/cpu
    > > combination

    > Technically, it’s not the same PC any more. When you get a PC with OEM
    > Windows preinstalled, the licence is only valid for that PC, you can’t
    > transfer it to another one.

    There is another issue. The pre-installed OEM may not include the
    various 'things' which pertain to the new motherboard if its chipset
    is significantly different from that of the old motherboard. Luckily
    it may just be drivers that can be found on the motherboard's or
    chipset makers' sites.
    peterwn, Oct 11, 2010
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    > In message<>, Rod Speed wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote
    >>
    >>> qmod wrote

    >>> Technically, it's not the same PC any more.

    >> Wrong when its just the motherboard that is changed.

    > But the motherboard is the essence of the PC.

    Total bullshit, I have had laptop motherboards replaced under warranty
    before and it has never been an issue for the OEM operating system to be
    re-activated, if it was, the warranty could not be honoured by the vendor.
    victor, Oct 12, 2010
  13. On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:12:11 +1300, "WorkHard" <> wrote:

    >EMB wrote:

    >>> Well, there is the fact that Windows itself is checking for
    >>> it.

    >> It also check for the HDD, the amount of RAM and various other
    >> things.
    >> Are you now going to claim that a RAM or HDD upgrade
    >> invalidates an
    >> OEM Windows licence too?

    >I just installed a new MB and CPU. Went from 32 to 64bit. My comp
    >is fast... very pleasing upgrade.
    >
    >No XP problems whatsoever. (My xp Pro is 32-bit.)

    What did you get..?

    Thanks.
    William Brown, Oct 12, 2010
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rod Speed Guest

    peterwn wrote
    > Rod Speed <> wrote
    >> PeeCee wrote
    >>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote

    >>> Technically correct from what I can see,

    >> Nope, not in this country.

    > Which country are you referring to mate?

    Australia.

    > I thought you were in Oz.

    You thought right.
    Rod Speed, Oct 12, 2010
  15. On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:17:20 +1300, "WorkHard" <> wrote:

    >William Brown wrote:
    >> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:12:11 +1300, "WorkHard"
    >> <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> I just installed a new MB and CPU. Went from 32 to 64bit. My
    >>> comp
    >>> is fast... very pleasing upgrade.
    >>>
    >>> No XP problems whatsoever. (My xp Pro is 32-bit.)
    >>>

    >> What did you get..?

    >Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR MB and E8600 3.3GHz cpu.

    Many thanks

    What is your PSU, Ram and Video card as I am up for a upgrade.
    William Brown, Oct 12, 2010
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    SteveM Guest

    victor <> wrote in

    > On 11/10/2010 11:38 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message<>, Rod Speed wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote

    >>> Wrong when its just the motherboard that is changed.

    >> But the motherboard is the essence of the PC.
    >>

    > Total bullshit, I have had laptop motherboards replaced under warranty
    > before and it has never been an issue for the OEM operating system to
    > be re-activated, if it was, the warranty could not be honoured by the
    > vendor.

    This discussion is about changing the model /brand / of motherboard to one
    different from the original.

    1. When you had your laptop motherboard replaced, it was replaced with an
    identical motherboard which had.....
    2. Large OEM's (HP, Acer, Toshiba ,etc) activate the installation of the OS
    by using a BIOS "signature". The OS will ignore any change of hardware
    (from an activation point of view) as long as this signature is present.

    If you replace a motherboard that came from a large OEM with a new one
    not from that OEM then the activation process will occur.
    SteveM, Oct 12, 2010
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    > On 11/10/2010 11:38 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message<>, Rod Speed wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote

    >>> Wrong when its just the motherboard that is changed.

    >> But the motherboard is the essence of the PC.
    >>

    > Total bullshit, I have had laptop motherboards replaced under warranty
    > before and it has never been an issue for the OEM operating system to
    > be re-activated, if it was, the warranty could not be honoured by the
    > vendor.

    Yeah but Victor, that's replacing like with like. You don't get many options
    about which mobo to fit into your laptop case. They'll all have the same
    major type number, just maybe a different version number.

    From the little reading I've done in this thread it seems that the mobo /
    CPU (and likely RAM) combo was upgraded with something not from the same
    generation, perhaps even not from the same manufacturer yet alone same
    serial number.

    In the above situation, if it were me (and XP) I'd back up all user data and
    then do a clean install. As long as that COA key hasn't been activated in
    the last, say 12 months it'll go right through again no problems and you
    have the benefit of a clean install rather than an abortion of a grafted
    mess with a dirty registry with orphan entries.
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Oct 12, 2010