Re: Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by XS11E, Jul 26, 2009.

  1. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Steve Johnson" <> wrote:

    > I'm new to Windows 7. What do you think about the new features?
    > Which one you like the most?

    What I like least: No classic start menu.

    What I like most: Because of the lack of the classic start menu I won't
    run it so there's nothing to like or dislike until that lack is fixed.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org
    XS11E, Jul 26, 2009

  2. Honestly, I don't miss the classic start menu at all. Not even a little. I
    thought I would. I did at first, but I find going back to a classic menu
    positively painful now.

    there are a LOT of other things to like here, and avoiding it for one reason
    is cutting off your nose to spite your face. I mostly skipped Vista, except
    on those machines where I had to run it to support something. But I've
    dumped my last XP machine now, and moved fully over to Win7. All RC still,
    but as soon as I can, I'll move to RTM.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 26, 2009

  3. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:

    > Honestly, I don't miss the classic start menu at all. Not even a
    > little. I thought I would. I did at first, but I find going back
    > to a classic menu positively painful now.

    I've been using the new type start menu since XP and find it
    unusable. I've spent a lot of time trying it in Vista but always go
    back to the classic because it's so much faster and easier.

    > there are a LOT of other things to like here, and avoiding it for
    > one reason is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

    I see nothing better than Vista?

    > I mostly skipped Vista, except on those machines where I had to
    > run it to support something.

    I find Vista an almost perfect OS for my needs, I'm running Ultimate 64
    almost back to the Longhorn days and have been unhappy with early 64
    bit support from software and hardware suppliers but that seems all
    over now, everything works well.

    I'm currently booting XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 64 and Win7 64 bit. I
    boot into Vista about 99.9% of the time.

    XS11E, Jul 26, 2009
  4. I find Win7 x64 significantly faster, better behaved, and overall better
    than Vista. Lots of little things, but better networking (especially when
    running in a multi-homed environment), the new taskbar, the much better Aero
    (Aero Peek is actually useful), better RDP support for multiple monitors,
    etc. All in all, I'm just more productive in Win7.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 26, 2009
  5. XS11E

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    Jumping in late (been out the whole weekend and unplugged).
    Win 7 feels "snappier". Clicking on something has an immediate response.
    Vista would say "Hey, hold on man. I'm busy on something else. I'll get back
    to you as soon as I can". Win 7 is there for you, right away.
    Network performance is awesome. I was about to dump my Conceptronic case for
    the network disk due to its slow performance and now it feels "younger",
    faster.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 27, 2009
  6. XS11E

    tsperling Guest

    Oh, how I wish I will have the opportunity to feel that network performing
    some day. Having a 50Kb wireless now after a 10Mb optical cable (back in
    Copenhagen) IS something else, I can tell you!

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 27, 2009
  7. XS11E

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <Xns9C549EC79DC88xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1> XS11E
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >"Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Honestly, I don't miss the classic start menu at all. Not even a
    >> little. I thought I would. I did at first, but I find going back
    >> to a classic menu positively painful now.

    >I've been using the new type start menu since XP and find it
    >unusable. I've spent a lot of time trying it in Vista but always go
    >back to the classic because it's so much faster and easier.

    What sort of actions are you finding faster in classic start menu then
    in Vista/W7's start menu?
    Dave Warren, Jul 27, 2009
  8. Yes, I agree. Much snappier. It's hard to quantify or pin down, but it
    definitely feels more responsive.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2009
  9. I feel your pain, Tony. Especially having spent two weeks on the road and
    staying at my aunt's house. Not sure which was worse - her dialup or the
    supposed "free high speed internet" at the various hotels where they had 75
    rooms sharing a single DSL line, from the feel of it.

    It really makes you appreciate plain text venues like NNTP and email.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2009
  10. > What I like least: No classic start menu.

    > What I like most: Because of the lack of the classic start menu I won't
    > run it so there's nothing to like or dislike until that lack is fixed.

    You may setup therd party Start Menu like this -
    http://www.vistastartmenu.com/screenshot.html
    Dennis Nazarenko, Jul 27, 2009
  11. XS11E

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 27/07/2009 in message
    <> Dennis
    Nazarenko wrote:

    >>What I like least: No classic start menu.
    >>
    >>What I like most: Because of the lack of the classic start menu I won't
    >>run it so there's nothing to like or dislike until that lack is fixed.

    >You may setup therd party Start Menu like this -
    >http://www.vistastartmenu.com/screenshot.html

    That is gross :-(

    Surely the simplest way is to set up your own menu with a custom Tool Bar.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks
    Jeff Gaines, Jul 27, 2009
  12. XS11E

    tsperling Guest

    Indeed! Pain is the word. Surprisingly, though, you learn to live with it -
    knowing you have to endure discomfort - it's almost like going to the
    dentist, and being on NNTP is like asking them for an Anaesthetic!

    (on top of which, my spell-checker just suggested that should be
    'unesthetic'! Well, well, well)

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 27, 2009
  13. XS11E

    tsperling Guest

    I remember bits and pieces of arguments of this sort from a few years back,
    when there was much argumentation about 64bit computing in general - I was
    maintaining that, in terms of computers, the subjective speed is the only
    important benchmark. Sure, you can put it to various tests and find out
    something is twice as fast or only half the speed of something else, and
    twice as fast IS twice as fast, but if half the speed is already faster than
    the eye can detect then it doesn't matter, outside of very specific needs,
    or these tests.

    Benchmarking has a curious ability to instill dissatisfaction with what you
    were quite happy with just moments ago!

    Tony. . .
    tsperling, Jul 27, 2009
  14. XS11E

    Kerry Brown Guest

    At risk of being accused of spamming I wrote a blog post on this a while
    back.

    http://vistahelpca.blogspot.com/2009/02/computer-performance-perceived-vs.html

    --
    Kerry Brown
    http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

    Kerry Brown, Jul 27, 2009
  15. XS11E

    tsperling Guest

    I wouldn't criticize anyone for using Benchmarks - I was very intrigued by
    the PC Mag set of utilities in my early computing days (say. . .92'ish) and
    I use these benchmarks primarily when I build myself a new machine, or
    sometimes as entertainment. I used to learn a lot from them but it quickly
    became obvious that they had dissatisfaction built in.

    It's a good, well written post, Kerry and I agree completely - reading it
    has given me more artillery for my own view:

    "Use with care if you need info on distinct problems that you can learn
    to understand, using those benchmarks."

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 27, 2009
  16. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Dave Warren <> wrote:

    > In message <Xns9C549EC79DC88xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1> XS11E
    > <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >>I've been using the new type start menu since XP and find it
    >>unusable. I've spent a lot of time trying it in Vista but always

    > What sort of actions are you finding faster in classic start menu
    > then in Vista/W7's start menu?

    Every action. I can open any program on my computer with one or at
    worst two mouse clicks using the classic start menu.

    XS11E, Jul 28, 2009
  17. XS11E

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <Xns9C55BBD69B02Axs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1> XS11E
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >Dave Warren <> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <Xns9C549EC79DC88xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1> XS11E
    >> <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >>>I've been using the new type start menu since XP and find it
    >>>unusable. I've spent a lot of time trying it in Vista but always

    >> What sort of actions are you finding faster in classic start menu
    >> then in Vista/W7's start menu?

    >Every action. I can open any program on my computer with one or at
    >worst two mouse clicks using the classic start menu.

    From a mousing point of view, things seem to be about the same to me. As
    a keyboard user, the change was more jarring, but now that I'm trained,
    I don't think I could go back.

    Most of the stuff I use frequently is pinned either to my start menu or
    task bar (depending on just how frequently I use said app), but the rest
    are 1-2 clicks away.
    Dave Warren, Jul 28, 2009
  18. XS11E

    Drew Guest

    >and being on NNTP is like asking them for an Anaesthetic!

    > (on top of which, my spell-checker just suggested that should be
    > 'unesthetic'! Well, well, well)

    That's because I think you meant anesthetic.

    Drew
    Drew, Jul 28, 2009
  19. XS11E

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Drew" <> wrote in message
    >>and being on NNTP is like asking them for an Anaesthetic!

    >> (on top of which, my spell-checker just suggested that should be
    >> 'unesthetic'! Well, well, well)

    > That's because I think you meant anesthetic.
    >
    > Drew

    Unless you're using a British English spell checker. Then it's OK.

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Jul 29, 2009
  20. XS11E

    tsperling Guest

    I usually double-check the well known language traps with the Penguin
    Dictionary - while knowing of the US/UK variations (which it usually lists),
    I felt fairly safe and not aware of the possibility of this being its own,
    sort of, trap.

    (Sigh) - you'll never be allowed to be completely happy!

    But I had a day with many larfs (that's 'John Lennon' English, by the way!)
    over the spell checker's suggestions.

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 29, 2009