Re: Windows 7 I like it

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Tony Neville, Nov 7, 2009.

  1. Tony Neville

    Tony Neville Guest

    "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Well I splashed out and bought Win7 Pro 64bit.
    >
    > I love it, no apps installed yet but 1 hour to get to usable and with
    > firefox and AVG installed, all my remote access facilities I normally use
    > running and my Raid Array imported and working from the Vista setup.
    >
    > By far the best Win OS I have struck so far for install.

    Vista recognised my RAID array, but what impressed me was that this time
    around there was no need to install any chipset drivers. Windows 7 found
    drivers for all the onboard devices, and this motherboard is fairly niche.
    Media Centre now works with the Hauppauge HVR 2200. Vista's edition for
    some reason failed to pick up any DVB-T channels. In either case, Media
    Centre's UI is hopelessly stodgy. WinTV 7 is far better software for
    watching TV. All my apps and utilities that worked in Vista work in W7. I
    like Vista Ultimate but the improvements in W7 are too numerous to ignore.
    My favourite are the jump lists. They save just so much time pissing about
    clicking through folders.

    Now that I don't have any use for Windows 7 RC any more, there is a 300GB
    partition ready for Fedora 12. Fingers crossed it will detect an ICH10R
    SATA array.

    Tony.
    Tony Neville, Nov 7, 2009

  2. Tony Neville

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:54:18 +1300, Tony Neville wrote:

    > Vista recognised my RAID array, but what impressed me was that this time
    > around there was no need to install any chipset drivers. Windows 7
    > found drivers for all the onboard devices, and this motherboard is
    > fairly niche.

    Why should an admin need to install drivers? The OS should recognise the hardware and use an
    appropriate driver already supplied and installed when the OS is installed.

    Carnations, Nov 7, 2009

  3. Tony Neville

    Tony Neville Guest

    "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message
    [...]
    > I too found very little driver issues, my Canon iP3000 printer didnt get
    > recognized till I did a win update and then off it went

    Which reminds me... It was good not having to reboot the PC half a dozen
    times to get everything up-to-date following an install.

    > Over all a very pleasent experiance and none of the drama associated with
    > going 64bit that was part of Vista

    My first use of Vista was considerably late. I guess by February this year
    most of the 64-bit issues were fixed. I had none.

    Tony.
    Tony Neville, Nov 7, 2009
  4. Tony Neville

    Tony Neville Guest

    "Carnations" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:54:18 +1300, Tony Neville wrote:
    >
    >> Vista recognised my RAID array, but what impressed me was that this time
    >> around there was no need to install any chipset drivers. Windows 7
    >> found drivers for all the onboard devices, and this motherboard is
    >> fairly niche.

    > Why should an admin need to install drivers? The OS should recognise the
    > hardware and use an
    > appropriate driver already supplied and installed when the OS is
    > installed.

    Sounds like a neat idea, but in order that OS developers know the future of
    hardware development and implementation, where is there a ready supply of
    dilithium crystals to run their time machines?

    Tony.
    Tony Neville, Nov 7, 2009
  5. Tony Neville

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 20:54:22 +1300, Tony Neville wrote:

    > Sounds like a neat idea, but in order that OS developers know the future
    > of hardware development and implementation, where is there a ready
    > supply of dilithium crystals to run their time machines?

    In case you were not aware, other operating systems com with drivers for all known and supported
    hardware.

    Carnations, Nov 7, 2009
  6. Tony Neville

    > On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 20:54:22 +1300, Tony Neville wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds like a neat idea, but in order that OS developers know the future
    >> of hardware development and implementation, where is there a ready
    >> supply of dilithium crystals to run their time machines?

    > In case you were not aware, other operating systems com with drivers for
    > all known and supported
    > hardware.

    Let's take these three devices: An nVidia GTX 295, an ICH10R SATA2 array,
    and a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200. Which other operating systems come with
    drivers to support all three of those?

    Tony.
    Tony Neville, Nov 8, 2009
  7. Tony Neville

    BigglesZz Guest

    On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 20:01:33 +1300, Collector_NZ wrote:

    >snip>

    >> Now that I don't have any use for Windows 7 RC any more, there is a
    >> 300GB partition ready for Fedora 12. Fingers crossed it will detect an
    >> ICH10R SATA array.
    >>
    >> Tony.
    >>

    > I too found very little driver issues, my Canon iP3000 printer didnt get
    > recognized till I did a win update and then off it went
    >
    > Over all a very pleasent experiance and none of the drama associated
    > with going 64bit that was part of Vista

    Yep my win7 upgrade was awesome ,,,,

    Biggles..
    BigglesZz, Nov 8, 2009
  8. Tony Neville

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 17:12:21 +1300, Tony Neville wrote:

    > "Carnations" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 20:54:22 +1300, Tony Neville wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sounds like a neat idea, but in order that OS developers know the
    >>> future of hardware development and implementation, where is there a
    >>> ready supply of dilithium crystals to run their time machines?

    >> In case you were not aware, other operating systems com with drivers
    >> for all known and supported
    >> hardware.

    > Let's take these three devices: An nVidia GTX 295, an ICH10R SATA2
    > array, and a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200. Which other operating systems
    > come with drivers to support all three of those?

    how old are those devices? And have the manufacturers of those devices released accurate and
    complete documentation about the APIs and ABIs that those devices use?

    Carnations, Nov 8, 2009
  9. Tony Neville

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-11-07, Carnations <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:54:18 +1300, Tony Neville wrote:
    >
    >> Vista recognised my RAID array, but what impressed me was that this time
    >> around there was no need to install any chipset drivers. Windows 7
    >> found drivers for all the onboard devices, and this motherboard is
    >> fairly niche

    > Why should an admin need to install drivers? The OS should recognise the hardware and use an
    > appropriate driver already supplied and installed when the OS is installed.

    And you add some more hardware. Then what?
    Gordon, Nov 8, 2009
  10. Tony Neville

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 05:10:51 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    >> Why should an admin need to install drivers? The OS should recognise
    >> the hardware and use an appropriate driver already supplied and
    >> installed when the OS is installed.

    > And you add some more hardware. Then what?

    The OS should recognise the hardware and use an appropriate driver already supplied and installed
    when the OS was installed.

    Carnations, Nov 8, 2009
  11. Tony Neville

    > On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 17:12:21 +1300, Tony Neville wrote:
    >
    >> "Carnations" <> wrote in message

    >>> In case you were not aware, other operating systems com with drivers
    >>> for all known and supported
    >>> hardware.

    >> Let's take these three devices: An nVidia GTX 295, an ICH10R SATA2
    >> array, and a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200. Which other operating systems
    >> come with drivers to support all three of those?

    > how old are those devices? And have the manufacturers of those devices
    > released accurate and
    > complete documentation about the APIs and ABIs that those devices use?

    Not sure... So you don't know of any other OS that comes supplied with
    drivers for all three, huh?

    Tony.
    Tony Neville, Nov 8, 2009
  12. Tony Neville

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 19:28:53 +1300, Tony Neville wrote:

    >> how old are those devices? And have the manufacturers of those devices
    >> released accurate and
    >> complete documentation about the APIs and ABIs that those devices use?

    > Not sure... So you don't know of any other OS that comes supplied with
    > drivers for all three, huh?

    Without investigating I would not be able to answer your question. I'm sure that you would be able to do
    that research if you are genuinely interested in knowing about those devices.

    However, if they have been around for a year already, and if they are useful devices today, and if the
    manufacturers have released complete and accurate documentation then I would suggest that there
    would be drivers available for all major platforms.

    Is there anything special about them?

    Carnations, Nov 8, 2009
  13. Tony Neville

    impossible Guest

    > On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 19:28:53 +1300, Tony Neville wrote:

    >>> Let's take these three devices: An nVidia GTX 295, an ICH10R SATA2
    >>> array, and a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200. Which other operating systems
    >>> come with drivers to support all three of those?

    >> how old are those devices? And have the manufacturers of those devices
    >> released accurate and
    >> complete documentation about the APIs and ABIs that those devices use?>>
    >> Not sure... So you don't know of any other OS that comes supplied with
    >> drivers for all three, huh?

    > Without investigating I would not be able to answer your question.

    Busted again, you gibberish-mongerer, you. But, hey, take your time...
    impossible, Nov 8, 2009
  14. Tony Neville

    EMB Guest

    Carnations wrote:

    > how old are those devices? And have the manufacturers of those devices released accurate and
    > complete documentation about the APIs and ABIs that those devices use?

    Whether the manufacturers have released details or locked everything in
    Fort Knox is irrelevant to this thread. Windows 7 demonstrably
    JustWorksâ„¢ and the mechanism behind that is irrelevant.
    EMB, Nov 8, 2009
  15. Tony Neville

    > On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 19:28:53 +1300, Tony Neville wrote:

    [...]
    >> Not sure... So you don't know of any other OS that comes supplied with
    >> drivers for all three, huh?

    > Without investigating I would not be able to answer your question.

    ah huh.

    Tony.
    Tony Neville, Nov 8, 2009
  16. Re: Linux I like it

    In message <hd5gen$1vkk$>, Tony Neville wrote:

    > Let's take these three devices: An nVidia GTX 295...

    nVidia stuff works with Linux as a matter of course.

    > an ICH10R SATA2 array ...

    Intel also provides very good Linux support.

    > ... and a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200.

    Apparently that uses the saa7164 chipset, which has some support under Linux
    <http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?p=500>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 10, 2009
  17. Tony Neville

    Carnations Guest

    On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:38:49 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    >> The OS should recognise the hardware and use an appropriate driver
    >> already supplied and installed when the OS was installed.

    > What of brand new hardware that was designed and create after the OS and
    > drivers inside it were developed?

    Would you care to try saying that in English?

    Carnations, Nov 11, 2009
  18. Tony Neville

    Carnations Guest

    On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 23:52:07 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Carnations wrote:

    >>> What of brand new hardware that was designed and create after the OS
    >>> and drivers inside it were developed?

    >> Would you care to try saying that in English?

    > So sorry, I missed a "d" after the word "create".
    >
    > Let's say the operating was installed in January and in February brand
    > new hardware with a new interface is developed, and in March that
    > hardware is purchased and plugged into the computer. How exactly is the
    > OS supposed to recognise the hardware and use an appropriate driver?

    Easy.

    Microsoft regularly updates Microsoft Windows, does it not?

    Carnations, Nov 11, 2009
  19. Tony Neville

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 23:52:07 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> Carnations wrote:

    >>> Would you care to try saying that in English?

    >> So sorry, I missed a "d" after the word "create".
    >>
    >> Let's say the operating was installed in January and in February brand
    >> new hardware with a new interface is developed, and in March that
    >> hardware is purchased and plugged into the computer. How exactly is the
    >> OS supposed to recognise the hardware and use an appropriate driver?

    > Easy.
    >
    > Microsoft regularly updates Microsoft Windows, does it not?

    I think I prefer how it works now. I'd rather implicitly install (or allow
    my OS to pull down from the Internet) any drivers that I may need for new
    hardware rather than have Windows update automatically pull down every
    bloody driver that I may or may not ever end up needing.
    Nik Coughlin, Nov 11, 2009
  20. Tony Neville

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    > "Carnations" <> wrote in message

    >>> So sorry, I missed a "d" after the word "create".
    >>>
    >>> Let's say the operating was installed in January and in February brand
    >>> new hardware with a new interface is developed, and in March that
    >>> hardware is purchased and plugged into the computer. How exactly is the
    >>> OS supposed to recognise the hardware and use an appropriate driver?

    >> Easy.
    >>
    >> Microsoft regularly updates Microsoft Windows, does it not?

    > I think I prefer how it works now. I'd rather implicitly install (or
    > allow

    Oops. Explicity.

    Nik Coughlin, Nov 11, 2009