Re: Windows 7 early promise: passes the Vista test

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2008.

  1. In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    > Vista's sidebar has been scrapped, and gadgets now appear on the desktop
    > itself.


    Did somebody say "KDE 4"?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:56:10 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Carnations wrote:
    >
    >> Vista's sidebar has been scrapped, and gadgets now appear on the desktop
    >> itself.

    >
    > Did somebody say "KDE 4"?


    What the hell does KDE stand for anyway.

    -ws

    Key/English 08 - Change We Need.
    Will Spencer, Oct 29, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Will Spencer" <> wrote in message
    news:hmu9qmyf0hnf$.u0f1c9d055d7$...
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:56:10 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Carnations wrote:
    >>
    >>> Vista's sidebar has been scrapped, and gadgets now appear on the desktop
    >>> itself.

    >>
    >> Did somebody say "KDE 4"?

    >
    > What the hell does KDE stand for anyway.


    K Desktop Environment
    Nik Coughlin, Oct 29, 2008
    #3
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Lodi Guest

    >On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:20:08 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >> "Will Spencer" <> wrote in message

    > news:hmu9qmyf0hnf$.u0f1c9d055d7$...
    >> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:56:10 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In message <>, Carnations wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Vista's sidebar has been scrapped, and gadgets now appear on the
    >>>> desktop itself.
    >>>
    >>> Did somebody say "KDE 4"?

    >>
    >> What the hell does KDE stand for anyway.

    >
    > K Desktop Environment


    And the K stands for Komon or Kommon, which is a play on the word Common.
    The implication is the old CDE (early nineties) being surpassed by the
    "kewl" KDE (late nineties)

    Lodi

    Lodi
    Lodi, Oct 29, 2008
    #4
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Lodi Guest

    >On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:32:31 +1300, Carnations wrote:

    >> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:45:23 +0100, Lodi wrote:

    >
    >>>On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:20:08 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >>
    >>>
    >>> K Desktop Environment

    >>
    >> And the K stands for Komon or Kommon, which is a play on the word
    >> Common. The implication is the old CDE (early nineties) being surpassed
    >> by the "kewl" KDE (late nineties)

    >
    > Incorrect.


    Yes and no...

    >
    > The KTip application that is included in the SuSE11 distro includes the
    > following as a "tip":
    >
    > "The K in KDE does not stand for anything. It is the character that
    > comes before L in the Latin alphabet, which stands for Linux. It was
    > chosen because KDE runs on many types of UNIX (and perfectly well on
    > FreeBSD)."
    >
    > Also see here:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE


    The almighty wikipedia hath spake therefore I must be wrong.....yeah
    right. In fact I might go in and edit the wikipedia page just to upset
    you.

    Just google "Kommon Desktop" and you'll get heaps of hits saying one
    thing or another. It's just another part of net lore.

    Anyway, why are we arguing on this glorious day of days. I've been
    hanging out for the release of Intrepid since I logged on this morning.
    Getting all excited....ooops just noticed you're a SLUG. No interest in
    Intrepid. Oh well, back to arguing.

    Just curious, do you use KDE. If so which version and what do you think
    of it. KDE 3.5.9 is easily the best of the dozen or so desktop managers
    I've used over the years.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Oct 30, 2008
    #5
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Carnations" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >
    > "The K in KDE does not stand for anything. It is the character that comes
    > before L in the Latin alphabet, which stands for Linux. It was chosen
    > because KDE runs on many types of UNIX (and perfectly well on FreeBSD)."
    >
    > That is the official view of the KDE Project.


    It originally stood for Kool but they dropped it because it was corny which
    is *why* that is now their official view
    Nik Coughlin, Oct 30, 2008
    #6
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Lodi Guest

    >On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:30:34 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >> "Carnations" <> wrote in message

    > news:p...
    >>
    >> "The K in KDE does not stand for anything. It is the character that
    >> comes before L in the Latin alphabet, which stands for Linux. It was
    >> chosen because KDE runs on many types of UNIX (and perfectly well on
    >> FreeBSD)."
    >>
    >> That is the official view of the KDE Project.

    >
    > It originally stood for Kool but they dropped it because it was corny
    > which is *why* that is now their official view


    I hadn't heard that one. Makes sense. Everyone knows that the cool way to
    spell cool is kewl, not kool. Typical nerds.

    Lodi
    Lodi, Oct 30, 2008
    #7
  8. In message <hmu9qmyf0hnf$.u0f1c9d055d7$>, Will Spencer wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:56:10 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Carnations wrote:
    >>
    >>> Vista's sidebar has been scrapped, and gadgets now appear on the desktop
    >>> itself.

    >>
    >> Did somebody say "KDE 4"?

    >
    > What the hell does KDE stand for anyway.


    A desktop environment that leaves Dimdows in the dust.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 30, 2008
    #8
  9. In message <geb0hj$pgv$>, Lodi wrote:

    > KDE 3.5.9 is easily the best of the dozen or so desktop managers
    > I've used over the years.


    I tried Enlightenment e17 for a few months when I first set up my Gentoo
    box. Was fun ("sliding" from one desktop to another was nifty), but some
    things didn't work right. So I went back to KDE.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 30, 2008
    #9
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 20:09:31 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <hmu9qmyf0hnf$.u0f1c9d055d7$>, Will Spencer wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:56:10 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In message <>, Carnations wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Vista's sidebar has been scrapped, and gadgets now appear on the desktop
    >>>> itself.
    >>>
    >>> Did somebody say "KDE 4"?

    >>
    >> What the hell does KDE stand for anyway.

    >
    > A desktop environment that leaves Dimdows in the dust.


    What features am I missing using Vista Ultimate instead of KDE?

    -ws

    Key/English 08 - Change We Need.

    Cool game: http://www.virtualskipper-game.com/en/
    Will Spencer, Oct 31, 2008
    #10
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 20:11:34 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <geb0hj$pgv$>, Lodi wrote:
    >
    >> KDE 3.5.9 is easily the best of the dozen or so desktop managers
    >> I've used over the years.

    >
    > I tried Enlightenment e17 for a few months when I first set up my Gentoo
    > box. Was fun ("sliding" from one desktop to another was nifty), but some
    > things didn't work right. So I went back to KDE.


    When I used KDE it seemed to have copied a lot of ideas from Windows, and
    it occured to me, why waste time with an imitation when I can just use the
    real thing!

    -ws

    Key/English 08 - Change We Need.

    Cool game: http://www.virtualskipper-game.com/en/
    Will Spencer, Nov 1, 2008
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Guest

    test test test test test test test

    Guest, Jul 2, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    879
    halfalifer
    Jul 2, 2003
  2. Gazwad

    TEST TEST TEST

    Gazwad, Sep 5, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    579
    Sinisa Saleh
    Sep 5, 2003
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    325
    stephen
    Oct 18, 2006
  4. Mickey Mouse

    Upcoming IE8 passes Acid2 test

    Mickey Mouse, Dec 20, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    716
    geoff
    Dec 28, 2007
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Re: Windows 7 early promise: passes the Vista test

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    273
    Will Spencer
    Oct 31, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page