Re: Windows 7 does not shut down and other stuff

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by G. Morgan, Nov 11, 2010.

  1. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    "zbatter" <> wrote:

    >?I have Windows 7 home premium and have been using it for 8 months. Just in
    >the last two weeks four things have started happening.
    >
    >1. Windows will not shut down - need to hard power off
    >
    >2. Right-clicking and Icon will cause computer to freeze up. Need to hard
    >power off some of the time.
    >
    >3. Placing CD/DVD in either drive and will not open, opening causes long
    >delay before being able to do other tasks.
    >
    >4. Sometimes when trying to print I get the message "Out of memory" but
    >everything else will work smoothly (Programs even heavy Graphic ones).
    >
    >I have in the side bar a gadget that show minimal use of CPU and minimal use
    >on all 4 cores. I have searched Google to no avail. I have used msconfig
    >and turned off everything listed from loading to no avail. My computer is a
    >64b system and have 8 g of ram.
    >
    >Just today there were I believe 6 automatic updates that were trying to
    >install during shutdown, after 6 hours still stuck. Hard powered off and
    >restarted. I check Live update and said my computer was up to date,
    >however, it only showed on update instead of the six.
    >
    >This is driving me nuts and fear that there will be damage eventually from
    >these hard shut downs.
    >
    >Thank You

    In this case I would recommend you format and re-install. Something is terribly
    wrong.
    G. Morgan, Nov 11, 2010

  2. G. Morgan

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 00:20:21 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

    > "zbatter" <> wrote:
    >
    >>?I have Windows 7 home premium and have been using it for 8 months.
    >>Just in the last two weeks four things have started happening.
    >>
    >>1. Windows will not shut down - need to hard power off
    >>
    >>2. Right-clicking and Icon will cause computer to freeze up. Need to
    >>hard power off some of the time.
    >>
    >>3. Placing CD/DVD in either drive and will not open, opening causes
    >>long delay before being able to do other tasks.
    >>
    >>4. Sometimes when trying to print I get the message "Out of memory" but
    >>everything else will work smoothly (Programs even heavy Graphic ones).
    >>
    >>I have in the side bar a gadget that show minimal use of CPU and minimal
    >>use on all 4 cores. I have searched Google to no avail. I have used
    >>msconfig and turned off everything listed from loading to no avail. My
    >>computer is a 64b system and have 8 g of ram.
    >>
    >>Just today there were I believe 6 automatic updates that were trying to
    >>install during shutdown, after 6 hours still stuck. Hard powered off
    >>and restarted. I check Live update and said my computer was up to date,
    >>however, it only showed on update instead of the six.
    >>
    >>This is driving me nuts and fear that there will be damage eventually
    >>from these hard shut downs.
    >>
    >>Thank You

    > In this case I would recommend you format and re-install. Something is
    > terribly wrong.

    Dan C? Is that you?

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 11, 2010

  3. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote:

    >> In this case I would recommend you format and re-install. Something is
    >> terribly wrong.

    >Dan C? Is that you?

    lol.. Sometimes that *is* the answer.
    G. Morgan, Nov 12, 2010
  4. G. Morgan

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:08:58 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

    > Aardvark <> wrote:
    >
    >>> In this case I would recommend you format and re-install. Something
    >>> is terribly wrong.

    >>Dan C? Is that you?

    > lol.. Sometimes that *is* the answer.

    Indubitably, but I had to check.

    Aardvark, Nov 12, 2010
  5. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote:

    >>>Dan C? Is that you?

    >> lol.. Sometimes that *is* the answer.

    >Indubitably, but I had to check.

    Heh! No, I'm not: "Dan- 'format your c\: drive' C"

    I'm going to have to sign my messages with PGP. You're the second one today
    that thought I was a sock, the first one is a lunatic though.
    G. Morgan, Nov 12, 2010
  6. G. Morgan

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 02:23:18 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

    > Aardvark <> wrote:

    >>> lol.. Sometimes that *is* the answer.

    >>Indubitably, but I had to check.

    > Heh! No, I'm not: "Dan- 'format your c\: drive' C"
    >
    > I'm going to have to sign my messages with PGP. You're the second one
    > today that thought I was a sock, the first one is a lunatic though.

    And I was kiddin'.

    Aardvark, Nov 12, 2010