Re: windows 7 copy

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Mar 30, 2011.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    bob wrote:
    > OK bought a computer on the net with windows 7 installed (pentium dual
    > core). after last update of windows it said i did not have authentic
    > copy of windows. i put in the product key on bottom of computer...did
    > not work. called microsoft who said key is for VISTA.
    >
    > any way around this issue? possible to get a legit copy of vista (yeah
    > i HATE vista but license for windows is 220 bux).
    >
    > thanks

    Does the brand of computer, come with a recovery DVD ?

    Contact the original manufacturer of the computer, and see if
    they offer a recovery DVD for sale. That recovery DVD would contain the
    same OS as the computer originally shipped with (Vista, by your
    estimation). Recovery DVDs (or DVD sets) can cost as much as
    $50, which is supposed to be a media fee, rather than a repurchase
    of the OS. $50 covers shipping and handling (and storage of all
    those sets of media).

    *******

    You might also look, to see if there is a recovery partition, with
    a copy of Vista on it. But whoever put the Windows 7 on there,
    has probably wiped the entire drive in the process, so if it
    was present, you might not find it.

    If you want to try, you can try Testdisk. It will scan a disk
    and search for the "footprints" of previous file systems. To
    give an example, I had four partitions, and deleted one. I
    was down to three partitions. Then, I tried Testdisk, and it
    located the starting position of the fourth one. Now, if there
    has been significant overwriting in that area, of course the
    knowledge would be useless. When I use Testdisk, it is mainly
    out of curiosity - I seldom accept the computed partition table
    that Testdisk provides, because it would almost surely corrupt
    something. But it can give a hint, as to how a computer *used* to
    be set up. To prevent Testdisk from finding old stuff, it's as
    easy as "zeroing" the entire disk (the only reason more people
    don't do that, is it takes time). There is no guarantee anything
    would be found. Testdisk only finds stuff, if someone did simple
    format options and there wasn't much disk usage after that.

    (You would use only a first level scan, as any deeper options
    wouldn't make sense. All you're interested in, is a "first impression".
    Testdisk is available for multiple OSes.)

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

    In this example, you can see how a commercial PC is set up. One
    large C: partition, but some smaller "special" partitions, one of
    which would be for recovery/reinstall at startup. The user manual
    would tell you, what function key to press, to start the wipe
    and reload. But that won't work, if the old setup was completely
    removed by the reseller.

    (DE and DB are Dell partitions. DB might contain a copy of the original OS)
    http://www.vistax64.com/attachments...n-partiton-recovery-dell-xps-420-dell-tbl.gif

    If Testdisk finds only one partition, then the others were likely erased
    long ago. Windows 7 on my laptop, uses two partitions, a small 100MB
    boot partition, and the much larger C: partition. So don't be fooled
    if you see two of them, a little one and a big one. That is the
    extravagant way that Windows 7 installs.

    *******

    If the computer is outside the warranty period, some manufacturers
    stop distributing the recovery media after that. Then, it's up to companies
    on the web, to offer you those DVDs for the $50 figure. And I have
    no way to judge, which of those companies is good.

    About the only source of reseller information on the web, is
    resellerratings.com . And they can be gamed, with enough effort.
    A good resellerratings, *plus* just a few independent confirmations,
    might be a start. The BBB doesn't have enough coverage either,
    to really help that much. You use resellerratings, to detect dodgy
    companies selling stuff.

    If you want an OS to use temporarily, you can download Linux Ubuntu.
    It's a 700MB download. It can operate from the CD (CD stays in
    the drive, as long as the OS is running). Or, there is an option
    at boot time, to copy the entire disc to memory. It takes maybe
    three or four minutes to copy the entire disc to computer RAM memory.
    Then, all programs execute from RAM, and the disc can be popped out
    of the tray. For the RAM option to be viable, you need >= 1.5GB
    of physical memory installed in the computer. On older computers,
    say a machine with 512MB, that isn't an option. But on newer
    computers, some of those have gobs of RAM, and the "TORAM=yes"
    option is a viable one.

    I would use the time you have left, to prepare a Ubuntu CD (from
    ubuntu.com), as then you'll have something you can use while
    completing your project of getting Windows running. It's hard
    to say how many days it'll take to have a recovery DVD delivered
    to your house.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 30, 2011

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    bob wrote:

    > thanks paul....someone suggested restoring to a point before i
    > downloaded the latest windows updates...

    You can try it, but I wouldn't bet money on that fixing it for you.
    System Restore will load the old copy of the Registry files for
    you, but if Microsoft is careful about file type exclusions, they
    may have set it up, so that whatever records authentication failure,
    is not overwritten on a restore.

    And given the state of search engines now, I can't even guarantee
    you'll find good info on how Windows 7 stores that information. At
    least one of the search engines now, is effectively owned by Microsoft.
    So something which actually uses Bing in the background for searches
    (Bing is doing the actual search, and the site just forwards the results),
    is going to be "tuned" a bit different, than a search engine not owned
    by Microsoft.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 30, 2011

  3. Paul

    Kele Guest

    Restore Point: nothing much to loose - except a bug or two. Restore Points
    worked for me once... I was amazed - they usually say "unable to apply,
    operation canceled" I mistakenly deleted my shared folder and the restore
    point undid that.

    Since it doesn't seem to act like a "real" Microsoft Authentic warning, if
    you look a services running and startup programz, does anything look
    unusual/suspicious that can be disabled? Look at add-ons in your browser
    too. The Windows7 home prem not authentic warning is not a pop-up window;
    it's text on the desktop - an overlay. No count-down, just the same "this
    is not genuine windows". If you temporarily change your clock date to last
    year, does the countdown days increase? If it does, I doubt even more that
    it's a real Windows warning.

    Did Malwarebytes find anything? Use the full scan option.

    If you have the license for "Vista" then an "upgrade" to Win 7 is cheaper,
    no?

    Kele, Mar 30, 2011