RE: Windows 64-bit, DVD-burners.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?dGhlYmFkcmFzaA==?=, May 10, 2005.

  1. FYI, this was a hardware issue. Surprise, surprise. That'll teach me to shop
    in the 'bargain' section of FNAC!

    =?Utf-8?B?dGhlYmFkcmFzaA==?=, May 10, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dGhlYmFkcmFzaA==?=

    Bob Kilgore Guest

    "thebadrash" <> wrote in message
    > FYI, this was a hardware issue. Surprise, surprise. That'll teach me to
    > shop
    > in the 'bargain' section of FNAC!
    >
    > "thebadrash" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've got a BENQ DW1620 DVD rewriter and I can't seem to get it to work
    >> under
    >> XP64. Now, I can't be sure whether this is a driver issue or a hardware
    >> issue. Apart from reinstalling XP-Pro, I can't really see what I can do
    >> test the OS.
    >>
    >> My question: Is there a chance that despite being detected by XP-64, the
    >> DVD
    >> drive won't open because it's not supported? Or does this look far more
    >> likely to be a hardware issue?
    >>
    >> Thanks!!

    This is a bit strange, I bought a BenQ DW-1610 drive and got a note that the
    firmware needed to be upgraded to correct a problem with windows recognizing
    the drive. I put in the new firmware and behold I now have a DW-1620 drive
    and all the 1620 functions perform well. I haven't tested the dual layer
    DVD due to the expense of the media. I have run this device under both
    XP-32 and XP-64 with Nero 6 and the only minor problem is that it will
    sometimes write at its max speed rather than the media max speed. I now set
    the write speed manually and all is well.

    I suggest the you go to the BenQ web site and get the latest revision of the
    firmware for the device and see if that cures your problem.

    Good Luck;

    Bob

    Bob Kilgore, May 10, 2005

  3. Thanks Bob. I did apply the firmware but this was more os a mechanical issue.
    The drive was recognised but physically wouldn't work. I'd never seen this
    happen before, so I didn't know if it could have been OS related. I put the
    drive in another machine (this time 32bit) and it still doesn't work at all.
    So I'll be getting a new one. Probably from a different, more reliable,
    manufacturer this time.

    Tom

    =?Utf-8?B?dGhlYmFkcmFzaA==?=, May 12, 2005