Re: Windows 2000 Administrator Account

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Billh, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Billh

    Billh Guest

    In a perfect world you should use a limited user account for your day to day
    usage. The biggest thing is if you run in to something on the Internet that
    tries to install it's self it can not because you do not have install
    rights. Also you would be prevented from making any major changes to your
    computer. Thus saving yourself from yourself.

    But then reality sets in. I have a computer setup for my 10 year old,
    Windows XP Home, I have to give full rights over the system as half of the
    games on the computer refuse to run if you are a limited user. If anything
    bad happens I have a ghost image that I can restore in minutes so overall
    not a big deal.

    Then at work I just did a rework of an AutoCAD lab at the High School with
    Win 2k and you can not get Auto Cad working unless you are at least a Power
    user. That means the students can install stuff. I have turned the proxy
    off on their computers so they can not get on the Internet but if some one
    figures it out well you guessed it I have an image I can shoot back on them.

    I run in Administrator mode on my main computer all the time as well as any
    computer I run at work. Maybe this is a bad idea but then again if anything
    goes wrong I am the one that would be in charge of fixing it anyways.

    If you think about it you were running in "Administrator" mode on any
    Windows 95 or 98 computer you used to own.

    Billh, Jun 26, 2003