Re: Window 7 Clean Install

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Nov 8, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "JonC" <> wrote in

    > I run XP on my C drive and have files backed up to my internal D drive.
    > I am going to do a clean install of window7 on my C drive. Is it
    > possible to recover all my backups from D drive once Window7 is
    > installed??? Or should I backup to a external drive or DVDs??
    > Any other bits of helpfull advice would be welcome.

    That all depends on what you did to back them up. You never say. If it was
    just a matter of copying them I'd say yes. BTW external drives fail
    quicker than internal ones, so using them as a backup is very bad. Using internal
    drives is playing the guessing game that your backup drive will last longer than
    your system drive. Hard drives fail. In 5-10 years tops .Use closed session CD/RW's
    or DVD/RW's. Then if the drive fails, you still have your backup.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 8, 2009

  2. chucktard wrote:

    > BTW external drives fail quicker than internal ones,

    <cough>

    > Hard drives fail. In 5-10 years tops .

    Tops? Can you explain why the two 12-year-old drives I have in my old
    PIII are still humming along just fine?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 8, 2009

  3. chuckcar

    Tony Guest

    Chuckcar who took time from his snow shoveling to try to answer this whopper of a
    question upChucked.
    BTW external drives fail quicker than internal ones

    Is that because external ones are more apt to get stepped on?

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on the job
    for potty mouth,

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm
    of understandability

    Tony, Nov 9, 2009