Re: Win98 HDD can't see Win XP HDD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Garnett Honeyson-Gandlechon, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. Dallas wrote:
    <blah blah, fucking, blah>

    | Why would the installation of XP & BootMagic make the drive
    | disappear???? Even when I boot DOS??
    |
    | (Scratching my head)

    Come back when you're pulling your hair out.

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Garnett Honeyson-Gandlechon, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Garnett Honeyson-Gandlechon wrote:
    > Dallas wrote:
    > <blah blah, fucking, blah>
    >>
    >> Why would the installation of XP & BootMagic make the drive
    >> disappear???? Even when I boot DOS??
    >>
    >> (Scratching my head)
    >>

    > Come back when you're pulling your hair out.

    LOL

    Lilo the airsick, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Garnett Honeyson-Gandlechon

    Dean C Guest

    Suspect you formatted your XP with NTFS file system. If that's what
    happned W98 being FAT32 cannot see NTFS partitions. DOS cannot either.
    That's likely why W98 and DOS can't see the drive. You can boot with a
    DOS boot disk and something called NTFSDOS. This will allow visibility
    to the XP/NTFS drive. XP can see drives that are FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS
    and that's why the XP can see the W98.

    If the NTFS partition was setup on FAT32 you'd be OK.

    If your XP is in fact NTFS (which is default) you need to reformat and
    reinstall XP making sure you nominate FAT32.

    Dean C, Aug 1, 2004
  4. Garnett Honeyson-Gandlechon

    ash Guest

    could it be win 98 is in FAT 32 and win XP is in NTFS ?
    i had that too before i convert all to NTFS with win XP

    ash, Aug 5, 2004