Re: [Win7 x64] Move partition C to another drive

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by R. C. White, Dec 21, 2009.

  1. R. C. White

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Ohmster.

    I get lost in the details of your system - just as you might get lost in the
    details of mine. :^{ I also have many logical drives on my 4 HDDs and am
    running out of "drive" letters. As a sometimes beta tester (Vista, Win7 and
    others), I've had a number of occasions to move entire partitions -
    including "boot volumes" - from place to place. I've used only the tools
    built into Windows (no Acronis - and no Partition Magic since about version
    6), primarily Disk Management with occasional help from DiskPart.exe - and
    good old Xcopy.exe. (Yes, I know Xcopy is deprecated in favor of RoboCopy,
    but I've never learned to use RoboCopy, and Xcopy still works fine in Win7
    for me.)

    Two keys to this process: First, don't get hung up on "drive letters".
    Windows doesn't really care about them, and they often are just a
    distraction for us humans. They shift like drifting sand as we reboot from
    one OS to another. Give each volume a NAME; this will be written to the
    disk and will remain the same, no matter which OS is running. Second, don't
    try to move the current OS. To move Win7, for example, boot into Vista and
    run Xcopy to move the Win7 partition. (Or boot into Vista x86 to move the
    Vista x64 partition, etc.) This way, you won't have to deal with Registry
    and other files that may be active and changing during the Move process.

    When you are ready to move Win7 from Drive C: to Drive M:, for example, boot
    into Win7 on Drive X: (or wherever you have another Windows
    (Win2K/XP/Vista/Win7) installed). Open an Administrator Command Prompt
    window. Use Xcopy with these switches:
    Xcopy C:\ M:\ /c /h /e /r /k

    To see what each of these switches do, just type Xcopy /? to get a mini-Help
    file that lists all the switches and parameters available with the command.
    Some of the switches I use are not necessary for this job, but I memorized
    that set years ago and they still work for just about every situation when I
    need Xcopy.

    You could move only the C:\Windows folder tree; that contains the entire OS.
    Or, at least, delete the Recycle Bin, Hiberfil.sys and Pagefile.sys from C:\
    before running Xcopy; they will simply be rebuilt as needed on the new
    volume. And while X: is still your current boot volume, use Disk Management
    to change the drive letter of M: to C:.

    That will leave you with the problems of updating your System Partition to
    point to the new location of that Win7 boot volume. I think you can simply
    designate your new HDD (the one that holds the M: volume that will have
    become C:) as the boot device, then insert the Win7 DVD and tell it to
    Repair your startup files. Let this write the boot sector and startup files
    onto that HDD. You may need a final tweak of the BCD with BCDEdit or a
    third-party BCD utility.

    Please let us know how this works out for you.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX