Re: win32 replacement for edit.com in x64 windows

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by James Kosin, Feb 18, 2010.

  1. James Kosin

    James Kosin Guest

    On 2/18/2010 12:36 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a good win32 replacement for edit.com
    > in x64 windows ? For use in a Command Prompt window
    > without creating a new window, just for quick and dirty
    > text editing.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Lynn

    notepad [name_of_file]

    That should work. DOS / Command Prompt is pretty much dead with Windows
    7. But, I'll search tonight and get back with you on that for sure.

    James
    James Kosin, Feb 18, 2010

  2. James Kosin

    James Kosin Guest

    On 2/18/2010 2:02 PM, James Kosin wrote:
    > On 2/18/2010 12:36 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of a good win32 replacement for edit.com
    >> in x64 windows ? For use in a Command Prompt window
    >> without creating a new window, just for quick and dirty
    >> text editing.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Lynn

    > notepad [name_of_file]
    >
    > That should work. DOS / Command Prompt is pretty much dead with Windows
    > 7. But, I'll search tonight and get back with you on that for sure.
    >
    > James

    Well,
    Bad news first, Microsoft doesn't have edit for Windows 7 64-bit.
    They do have it for the 32-bit version of Windows 7. But, don't say
    weather it works with 64-bit OS.

    Good news, well sort of...

    http://code.google.com/p/vim-win3264/

    Here is a version of vim that should work. I haven't tried yet myself;
    since, I don't really need it yet.

    James
    James Kosin, Feb 19, 2010

  3. Supposedly it was primarily in the interest of keep bloat out of the OS
    and to improve security. According to a recent article ALL 32-bit
    Windows are seriously compromised by the DOS vm in those systems because
    they still allow BIOS calls and.

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 19, 2010